View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I'm sorry, but it's just the gayest goddamn riff I've ever heard. That riff sounds like it belongs in a fashion commerical, not on an album, hence why I posted the Gap Commercial. In fact dare I say the song would be much better if they just chopped that part off.
Oh, so you WERE serious!

Well, I guess I see what you mean a little bit, but if you notice, what they're basically doing - and a lot of bands do this - is introducing the "backbone" of the riffs in the rest of the song, in a very rudimentary way, in the beginning. So they take those few simple chords that you hear all by themselves (and according to you, sound kind of weird or out of place without any texture around them), and then they build on those same chords to create the more complex riffs which are used in the rest of the song. I can see why those simple chords played all by themselves in that fashion might not be the most "metal" thing in the world in some opinions, but I didn't mind it. I mean, it happens rather quickly, and then they launch into one of the best songs on the album and start destroying shit left and right soon enough, so it all good, right? I think maybe it's just that the little details get under your skin in a little different way than most folks, is all. I'm not judgin', I'm just sayin'.