View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Singers:

Bruce Dickinson- Iron Maiden. If it's ever been done better I haven't heard it.

Ronnie James Dio- Rainbow/Dio/Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell. Same reason as Dickinson plus while his voice isn't what it once was he's still going out there and delivering quality live vocal performances at age 67!

James Labrie- Dream Theater. One of the best around his ability to hit certian notes and hold them is something rare that you don't hear to often anymore.
1) Bruce is amazing, but I can't begin to fathom how someone thinks he's the BEST singer of all-time. Favorite? Sure, that's all subjective, but I can't imagine arguing him for the best.

2) If you're gonna make a comment about Dio's voice "not being what it once was", you need to say something about Bruce as well. Granted, the Somewhere Back in Time tour was a nice step up for him, but generally in the past 10 years Bruce's voice live (and even on album, especially A Matter of life and Death) has really dropped off.

3) James labrie circa Images and Words was an absolutely amazing vocalist that totally ruled. But I think he's always been one of the worst live vocalists out there. I've never heard someone who could just sound... out of tune. He's had his ups and downs, and on Score/The Octavarium tour he really turned things around for a while. But overall I've never heard a singer so capable of making me cringe live.