View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Giant Squid – The Ichthyologist

An Ichthyologist is one who studies fish, which is a fitting title for an album by a band called Giant Squid. The Ichthyologist is their second album and is based on a graphic novel written by the frontman Aaron Gregory. The plot centers around a man who has his humanity stripped away and lives in the sea. The songs progress through when the main character starts his journey to the emotional tragedy and his transformation. Now the music is very progressive, and if your friends walked in the room while you were playing this you might get some weird looks. It combines a lot of elements. Heavy, doomy riffs, violins, operatic female supporting vocals, a cello, and some sort of twangy instrument I wan't able to identify. Though it all comes together very neatly and structured. There are some upbeat tracks like Panthalassa and Throwing a Donner Party at Sea, and then there's the more mellow songs such as Sevengill and Emerald Bay. To sum it all up in one word “weird” best describes it all. But if you've got a little patience and are willing to think outside the box a bit, it's a very enjoyable album.
It's a banjo, played by lead guitarist / vocalist / band co-founder Aaron Gregory. I had no idea there was another Giant Squid fan lurking about here besides IDrinkWine732 and myself. Welcome to the very small, but elite club.

Quote:
More albums of note:
Devin Townsend - Ki
Cobalt - Gin
Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
Russian Circles - Geneva
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Devastator - The Summoning
Ensiferum - From Afar
Kylesa - Static Tensions

Kalisia - Cybion
Loving those albums too, my man.

Quote:
Dissapointing shit:
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
Slayer - World Painted Blood
Hyades - Roots of Trash
Municipal Waste - Massive Agressive
Queensryche - American Soldier
Mastadon - Crack the Skye

Quote:
Dissapointing shit:
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
Slayer - World Painted Blood
Hyades - Roots of Trash
Municipal Waste - Massive Agressive
Queensryche - American Soldier
Mastadon - Crack the Skye
I liked those. Didn't love 'em, but liked 'em a lot (especially Mastodon).

Overall, we still have many interests in common.