View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
That Guy

MPF's Best and Worst of 2009

Finally finalized everything for this and I figured "Hey, why not join in on the list threads?"

For those interested Here's what I got:

First off, just missing the cut of The Top 20 of 2009:

30: Baroness- Blue Record
29: Dethklok: Dethalbum II
28: Scale The Summit- Carving Desert Canyons
27: iwrestledabearonce- It's All Happening
26: Russian Circles- Geneva
25: Beardfish- Destined Solitare
24: Susperia- Attitude
23: Goes Cube- Another Day Has Passed
22: CKY- Carver City
21: Amorphis- Skyforger

Now...The Top 20 Of 2009!!!:

20: Them Crooked Vultures
19: Soundscape- Grave New World
18: Transatlantic- The Whirlwind
17: Clutch- Strange Cousins From The West
16: Obscura- Cosmogenesis
15: Sólstafir- Köld
14: Converge- Axe To Fall
13: Freak Kitchen- Land Of The Freaks
12: Maudlin Of The Well- Part The Second
11: The Kris Norris Projekt- Icons Of The Illogical
10: Porcupine Tree- The Incident
9: Mono- Hymn To The Immortal Wind
8: Dream Theater- Black Clouds And Silver Linings
7: Redemption- Snowfall On Judgment Day
6: Devin Townsend- Ki
5: Devin Townsend- Addicted
4: Between The Buried And Me- The Great Misdirect
3: Long Distance Calling- Avoid The Light
2: Mastodon- Crack The Skye
1: Dredg- The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Top Discoveries of 2009:

5: Them Crooked Vultures
Josh Homme, John Paul Jones, and Dave Grohl= PERFECTION. Possibly the strongest "Supergroup" debuts there will ever be.

4: Goes Cube
To me, these guys are like a more aggressive, but poppier version of Torche. While not as amazing as Torche. I love these guys' style.

3: Susperia
Possibly one of the great new Thrash bands around. Testament, meets Evergrey. I hope these guys will get more recognition soon.

2: Long Distance Calling
The perfect Progressive Post Metal band. These guys will make it BIG in due time. Enough said!

1: Torche
Possibly one of my favorite bands ever. It what would happen if Mastodon, U2, Corrosion Of Conformity, Motorhead, Cathedral and Dredg formed a band. Once I seen them open up for dredg, it was over for me. I am OBSESSED with Torche

And now...the top 6 worst albums of the year:

6: Animals As Leaders- S/T
I totally see the talent in these guys, and with the fact they NOW have a real drummer, their next album will get me some attention, but their debut seems like what I've heard others do before, except with a drum machine. It's good, but just bland IMO.

5: Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life
What the fuck happened to these guys??? They used to be amazing. The only song that caught my attention was Spellbound. It's a good Rock single, but the rest...Fuck, there's the demise of a once great Female-Fronted Metal band.

4: Darkest Hour- The Eternal Return
I LOVE the Kris Norris era of Darkest Hour, but the new album does nothing for me. They regressed in sound. The direction they were going in for Deliver Us was the right way to go. The Eternal Return is basically going back to their hardcore roots, making them sound just like everyone else now a days. I'm sticking with The Kris Norris Projekt which is miles beyond what Darkest Hour was was.

3:Weezer- Raditude
I should be used to this by now from Weezer, For pretty much the last decade it's been great album, shitty album, great album, shitty album. The Red album was phenomenal. Raditude a river (almost pun intended) of shit.

2: Muse- The Resistance
I just can't get into Muse Post-Absolution. I've tried, I really have, but I can't do it. It's just way too Dancey electronica for me. Of course on BH&R there are a few great tracks. On The Resistance, all I can find is the trilogy to be worth listening to. The rest....IMO, it's garbage!!!

1: Chris Cornell- Scream
If you heard even 15 seconds of any song off scream, you understand why this pile of shit is number 1 on the shit-list. To those who haven't, be thankful. All I can say is THANK GOD Soundgarden is back!!!

Thanks all I got, thanks folks!