View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Honorable Mentions

11. Dinosaur Jr.- Farm

An amazing release by early 90's grunge pioneers. It has some of the best guitar playing I've heard in a long time, and it's a nice laid back rock album to listen to on a summer drive. Standout tracks: "Plans, "Over It," "See You," "I Don't Wanna Go There"

12. Broadway Calls- Good Views, Bad News

A great new pop-punk band who blew me away with their debut album last year. It's not quite as good as that record, but it's still one of the most fun records of the year. Standout tracks: "To The Sheets," "Be All You Can't Be," "Midnight Hour," "Give Up the Ghost"

13. Dear Landlord- Dream Homes

Oh look, more pop-punk. A very solid album that probably would have made the top 10, but Banner Pilot was a little better. Standout tracks- "I Live In Hell," "Park Bench," "Whiskey and Records."

14. Regina Spektor- Far

The quirky and adorable singer/songwriter/pianist returned with another excellent album. Her voice is stunning, and her songs are always fun and heartfelt. Standout tracks: "The Calculation," "Blue," "Human of the Year."

15. American Steel- Dear Friends, Gentle Hearts

I'd heard these guys before, but it didn't really click until I heard this album. Now they're one of my favorite punk rock bands. Standout tracks: "Tear the Place Apart," "Emergency House Party," "From Here To Hell"

The rest, which I didn't feel like writing about:

16. Agoraphobic Nosebleed- Agorapocalypse
17. Chuck Ragan- Gold Country
18. Cobra Skulls- American Rubicon
19. Napalm Death- Time Waits for No Slave
20. Nothington- Roads, Bridges and Ruins

Best EPs:
Paint It Black- Amnesia
The Menzingers- Hold On, Dodge
The Lawrence Arms- Buttsweat and Tears

Dishonorable Mention:

Green Day- 21st Century Breakdown

I really loved American Idiot, despite its inconsistencies, but this was total garbage. They took all the worst parts of that record and essentially made a whole album of songs like "Wake Me Up When September Ends." Blech. There were a few decent songs, but nothing spectacular to redeem it. This band is pretty much dead to me now, as far as new music is concerned.

AFI- Crash Love

Ugh, where to start? First of all, the band said it's a concept album about how shitty celebrity culture is, despite the fact that Davey Havok has his own clothing line and is friends with Myspace degenerates like Jefree Star, so that tells you a lot right there. The whole album is just uninspired and boring at best, and downright embarassing at worst. The first single, "Medicate," is pretty good, but otherwise it's utterly disposable. Interestingly, they also released some bonus tracks and b-sides from the recording of this album, and they were ten times better than anything else on it. Go figure.