View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
First of all, "Rocky Mountain Way" and "Life's Been Good" aren't Eagles songs. Second, Joe Walsh is a legendary guitar player who only played with the Eagles on 3 of their albums. He was vital in fusing a hybrid of funk and hard rock in the late 60s/early 70s with the James Gang (this technique would later catch on with bands like Deep Purple, and other prototypical heavy metal bands) and even taught Jimmy Page slide guitar. Say what you will about the Eagles, but his solo on "Hotel California" remains as one of the most fresh and cathartic solos charted.

Honestly, he's one of the finest surviving Classic Rock guitar players of this day and age and a hell of a guy to boot, and you're just butthurt that Caffery didn't play material from a band that maybe 3-5% of the audience knows existed...
My personal stance on this argument aside: You don't have to like someone just because of their "influence" on other music you may or may not like.

Second, you don't promise a big surprise and bring out someone from a completely unrelated band that has nothing to do with your own music. It's the same as when Mike Portnoy promises big surprises at Dream Theater shows and brings on the members of the other bands they're touring with. It's unique, yes, but to the grand majority of the band's fans, it's not special. TSO doesn't know how to do anything special aside from bringing out token classic rock musicians and play random cover songs.
How about, instead of doing this crap, along with some of their own mediocre stuff, why don't they actually start playing some of their own great material that they've been ignoring for years while constantly doing the same show every single year.

My TSO rants are kinda lengthy and this is merely a fraction of all the problems I have.