View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Well, I was treating this whole thing with a grain of salt until that crazyass DethMaiden showed up and made me want to get all serious and shit.
So here's the breakdown, motherfuckers.

High on Fire is pretty awesome live, but I will put one rather major qualifier on it - if you are a fan of their music. I am. Hence, I've paid good money to see them twice, had a blast both times, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Converge is a bit insane live. They are decent on album, but I can see how 9 out of 10 people would find them too intense and not their cup of tea. Fair enough. I was impressed with the amount of energy they brought live - I've seen them twice because they opened for other bands I wanted to see, so at least I know what I'm talking about. I also own a few of their CD's, but I don't play them much. I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say they suck. They do have quite a few douchebag fans, but that's really neither here nor there. All bands have some douchebag fans.

Mastodon with Brent as a drunkard was probably a big letdown. I'm sorry some of you had to see that - but seriously, GET THE FUCK OVER IT. People make mistakes. Sometimes they fix those mistakes. Time will tell if Brent stays the course, but I can tell you this much - I saw them last May for my first time, with Brent sober (or "close enough", as far as I could tell), and I was hella impressed. I had a blast. To say that Mastodon is a shitty live band is a little bit extreme (and as far as from my admittedly limited perspective only seeing them once, I would say that it is a downright ludicrous statement - but again, I've only seen them once). Like I say, they entertained the bejeezus out of me, and I'm not always that easily entertained, so take that how you will.

...and finally, I still haven't seen Dethklok live, so I wouldn't know shit about that. I'm not arrogant enough to throw an opinion out there if I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'm not saying anything about Dethklok live (although I have heard that they are surprisingly good live, for a backing band to a fucking cartoon.

In summary:

HoF live = awesome, if you are a fan
Converge live (or otherwise) = an acquired taste
Mastodon live (Brent drunk) = disappointing?
Mastodon live (Brent sober) = made me holla
Dethklok live = potential for fun, but who knows?

"Don't need no hateration, holleration
In this dance-ary..."

Mary J. Blige

[/rant]
You should be a lawyer. I still feel the same but like I can concede all of your points.