View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

When I found that AIC would be releasing another album, I was stoked. It would be a) a comeback album, b) a showcase of Cantrell's new skills since the self titled, and c) DuVall's debut (whom I already thought was a great fit for AIC). When I heard "A Looking In View", I was a bit dissappointed, I'm not going to lie. I know it got a lot of good feedback, but I just didn't think it had that AIC charm to it. Then came "Check My Brain", which was worse than ALIV for me, so I had medium hopes for this after hearing those two. They weren't necessarily bad, but it just wasn't what I was hoping. Now, after hearing the album, I can most definitely say that it is a very strong release for Alice and frankly, it's fuckin' awesome. It's always a great feeling when songs released don't really hit you, and then the album comes out and BAM! It's so rare now-in-days too, usually the best songs are released first then the album sucks or is not as good as that one song (Sonata Arctica comes to mind, and many others I just can't think of at the moment). Now obviously I'd prefer all the songs to be great, but I digress. This album is really awesome, signature AIC for sure. The opening track "All Secrets Known" has that great, catchy tune to it that can get stuck in your head, and DuVall just rips on the vocals. A definite pleasant tune to start the record. It then goes into "Check My Brain", which after giving it another listen, is not as bad as I made it out to be. Still not great, but listenable for sure. "Last Of My Kind" easily became a highlight immediately upon my first listen. The incredibly catchy chorus and the groove just got me hooked, one of my favorite tracks for sure. The sorta ballad "Your Decision" was really cool too, very atmospheric musically and clearly meaningful in terms of lyrics, which combined lead to a very strong ballad/mellower song. "A Looking In View", like "Check My Brain", also improved on my listen through the album, I don't know whether it's because the other tracks were really good or because I needed more listens, nor do I care. Following, "When The Sun Rose Again" has a really cool acoustic intro that is very very....amazing. I really don't know how to describe it. The percussion in the background gives it a sort of Spanish feel, fantastic track. So beautiful, honestly one of the most emotional tracks I've heard, it hit me very hard (in a good way). Also one of my favorites on the album. "Acid Bubble" is a typical AIC song, easily could see it on Dirt or something. The intro is very sluggy and slow, signature AIC. It starts with an insanely catchy riff around 3 minutes, and the song builds up so much energy and groove, another great track. "Lesson Learned" is another to-be classic AIC track, great catchy chorus, great solo, great riffage. A perfect example of the album really. "Take Her Out" has an awesome groove in the beginning and end, and the middle is all top notch as well, arguably my favorite track on the record. "Private Hell" is a beautiful track that has great melody, very reminiscent of "Down In A Hole". Finally, the title track is a full on ballad, piano and the works. Beautiful track as well, and concluding this album, I've realized that Alice In Chains are a band that have some of the most emotional tracks in metal to be honest. There is something about Cantrell's music-making skills that just make him so unique. And DuVall really was the perfect fit for this band, fantastic debut, very proud of him. All in all, great, great record. Will most likely crack it's way into my top 10 somehow, we'll see just where by December. So give it a listen, please! That concludes this lengthy review