View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'll put it on a few more times.
Do.

Quote:
"Throwing a Donner Party at Sea (Physeter Catodon)" would be the highlight,
Correct!

Quote:
but even that gets stomped all over by the likes of Neonate, Ampullae of Lorenzini, Summit, and Metridium Field
The four best songs from Metridium Fields (and in the right order, too).

Quote:
its furthermore disappointing that they wrote that song before Metridium Field, meaning that the best song on the new record is an old song.
It's an old song, but it kicks so much more ass now. The thing is, they had a whole different sound when the song was first written, and the original version (which is on the "Monster in the Creek" EP) has a lot of keyboards and other funky stuff in it. It's actually a cool song as well, but the fact that they dusted off an old favorite and gave it a whole new, awesome facelift is actually a testament to the strength of the song, IMO.

Last but not least, here is my list of tracks from most favorite to least, just to maybe give you some ideas on where best to focus as you listen some more:

Throwing a Donner Party at Sea - Crushing. Bombastic. Awesome.
Blue Linckia - Epic. Dark and personal (read the lyrics).
Dead Man Slough - Even darker, almost to the point of being morbidly funny (REALLY read the lyrics!).
Panthalassa - Also crushing. Very heavy and expansive, like the ancient world-covering omni-ocean after which the song is named...
La Brea Tar Pits - Took some repeated listening, but this one is good (even better live).
Sevengill - The best "slow song" on the album - the guest instrumentation & vocals are added to great effect here, IMHO.
Emerald Bay - Best vocals on the album - this song is awesome, and also deep (one of several about suicide). Nice oboe (played by Jackie's sister).
Rubicon Wall - This is another suicide song - it's about the album's lead character (which is based on the lead character in Aaron's as-yet-unpublished graphic novel) throwing himself off the edge of the abyss. Tragic.

Sutterville - Not bad, but I sometimes skip it - the story line is interesting (and true).
Mormon Island - I usually skip this one - it does have some pretty haunting vocals, though...