Thread: Brutal Legend
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Regretting my username

Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but does it seem that these video game franchises keep shitting out annual games that don't change very much from the previous one? I mean, I'll give two examples.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band: Each new game has a few new features, but for the most parts its just different songs and visual things. Nothing about the game has changed. I mean, if you really like how Guitar Hero plays, but want to try to play a new long list of songs that the corporation picked for you, go for it. But after playing the first two installations, I really have no interest in playing (or at least buying) the next one if nothing has really changed. This is the weakest example I have to support my complaint, so lets try sports game.

Like someone said before, do they just update the roster and throw one or two new features on? I mean, why not wait a few years and build up a dozen new features, then you can justify 60 bucks for the game. But considering I can't tell the players apart without their names and numbers on the jersey, I don't really think updated rosters really matter. One of the biggest shams was NFL HeadCoach. I mean, cool concept I guess, but why not put that as a feature of Madden or NCAA?

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but I don't like the idea that once you buy a 2009 game, the 2008 game is so similar, but just different enough to not be fun to go back to. The Tony Hawk games are a little better because they weren't shat out every single year, with very tiny changes in each. Why not hold off on Madden for a few years, build a truly 'different' game, then release to the rabid masses. Make more money, make a better game.

[/bored, tired rant]