View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
The fan base should have realized that was just treading into different waters, and Low began a different tread all together. Formation is them coming full round again.

But to get back Souls of Black the song, you don't have to have the best lyrics in the world to make it a well constructed song. The delivery in the end is what makes it. Look at Cannibal Corpse. Their lyrics are nothing but brutal, gruesome, sometimes even humorous murder/death images, and in comparison to other death metal bands' lyrics, they are pretty over the top sometimes (not saying other death metal bands dont have brutal lyrics). In the end, it doesn't matter what the hell they are talking about, its that Corpsegrinder fucking rips on those words and makes em sound fucking powerful. They said it themselves, "It's not like the lyrics are meant to be taken super seriously", they are not telling people to seriously strip rape and strangle someone, or smash a hammer into someone's face.

The comparison might be a bit of a stretch, but it makes my point. Delivery > Lyrics anyday. So there really is no need to flame on FeMaiden because he enjoys hearing songs like Souls of Black live, as do I. And there is also nothing wrong with You've Got Another Thing Coming. Is the trend now to start hating on songs that become popular? A person can like everything a band has to offer and not limit themselves to solely listening to certain albums/songs.
I don't disagree with your point but Chuck Billy delivers every song with tenacity and fire so why not play songs that will translate better live? Trial by Fire is their most known song and they don't play it often because Chuck doesn't want to I read. He's tired of it, the same way me and my friends are deathly tired of Souls of Black. I just used the 2nd grade chorus as a quick example but the point of all of this is simple.

If 1 person threw the Souls of Black CD in and remembered or discovered what a great song Seven Days of May is then I accomplished what I was trying to. I've been turned onto some great music through here and recently downloaded the Ghoul catalog based on a post from the MD Deathfest thread and can't stop listening to it.

My other point was if you're at a Priest show and the guy to your left yells You've got another thing coming and the guy on your right yells Island of Domination, who do you respect more? Who would you have an in-depth passionate conversation about music with? I've met some great people at shows and none of them were there to heara song that has been overplayed 10K times that's all. These are the same people who stare aimlessly when Beyond the Realms of Death is being played. Sad...

I'm no barney bad-ass by any stretch but I've been to shows where I was standing, jamming out and some poser behind me yelled for me to sit down and actually went and got security to try to sit me down. I'd rather be shot on the spot than sit at a concert so if that makes me an asshole, that's me. That happened at a Tool show last year and I asked the sword swallower to name 3 Tool songs other than Sober and he couldn't. So if my tolerance for posers isn't that high, there are reasons behind it.
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther

Last edited by jhdeity; 05-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.