View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoreOfBowling View Post
An album with Dio, Iommi and Butler and a "fucking sucks" tag does not compute.

I'd sure love to know what "fucking sucks" about it, because when I listened to it, I heard 52 minutes of consistently bludgeoning traditional heavy metal goodness from the most experienced metal musicians alive. Sure, it's been almost 2 decades since Tony and Geezer have done anything noteworthy in the studio, but to be quite honest, there probably won't be anything that can top this monster of a comeback from the innovators of heavy metal this year. Maybe Candlemass... And that's one of the biggest of conceivable 'maybes'..

The album's entitled "The Devil You Know" not "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder" in case there's a misunderstanding.
As much as I'd love to agree with you, this album sucks. Everything about it screams "we're not even trying". They managed to record an album with absolutely no hooks, nothing remotely catchy, and nothing memorable in any way shape or form. And I know all of those "Metal fucking rules, fuck sissy shit" people think hooks and catchiness aren't important, but they are. If you listen to Heaven and Hell, there are hooks all over the place. The songs are incredibly strong, very memorable. Songs like "Die Young", "Children of the Sea", "Neon Knights", and the title track stand up incredibly well today, because they were extremely well written songs that understood the balance between heaviness and melodic substance... something this album is entirely devoid of. Are the riffs heavy? Yes. Are the riffs good? Generally not. Dio's lyrics are a mere shadow of his once somewhat poetic brilliance. Every song is pretty much the most bland form of dull, and I had to try very hard to not turn it off on the first listen. You keep waiting for quality that never comes, it's just not there, no matter how much I want it to be.
And for the record, I am a huge Dio and Dio-Sabbath fan, and I had the highest of hopes for this. I just won't play nice with an album as inconceivably disappointing as this was.