View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I just like lyrics that make sense given the atmosphere of the music that they go with. I mean, I'll use Fleet Foxes as an example because they're masters of it, but they sing about forests and mountains and squirrels and shit because they sound like they're sitting at the base of a California redwood while they're playing. And old Immortal Technique - he had angrier than shit lyrics, with some pretty "brutal" beats. But so much of The 3rd World sounds to me like angry lyrics with jarringly out-of-place radio rap beats. I'm not saying lyrics aren't important: they are, and as a writer who isn't much of a musician, I know that for a damn fact. But I think their purpose should be to supplement the music; not the other way around.
Rap, hip-hop, and general 'black' music was originally developed from African chants and slave songs that had two purposes: convey a message and history through lyrics, and keep the spirits up with music. ITs sole mission is to deliver a message. The beats are more commercial, but are so far off from what is actually on the radio.