View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
First of all, Kill Em All was a good album, but nothing special creative-wise.

Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits. Ktulu is rarely played live, but it's hard not to say it's a great track. If not for Cliff, the intro riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls would either be filled by lone quarter notes on the bass drum or a lame guitar bit.

I don't agree that Justice is their best album, but either way it's not very far removed, if at all from their previous two albums. The format of the album itself and the song structures are essentially the same. To me it's "Master Of Puppets II", much like Wayne's World. The second one was good, but it's just not the same.

To sum it up, Cliff was what seperated Metallica from Megadeth and Testament. Then came the Black Album.
You know, you gotta love the armchair rock critics who think they know it all. All praise TonyD. Hetfield could fart and it would be a decent song. What the fuck have you produced in the last 29 years? You obviously DON'T LIKE Metallica, as you sighted that you only like 3 out of their 9 albums. So the questions remains, what the fuck are you doing here? I don't like some of their albums either but I still own them. Of all the 'hair bands' that came out of the 80's, and Nirvana killed most of those bands and drove Metal back underground, thank god we still have Metallica.

Puppets and Justice are not comparable in the least. If any comparison, it would be that Justice is what Puppets would sound like without Cliff but that's a stretch. With Justice, they were at the height of their creativity. But there's no way it could be classified as Puppets II. That's just laughable. There's no Sanitarium, Thing that should not be, Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah type songs on Justice. The songs on Justice were so much more complex.

Are you saying that the Black album sounded like what Megadeth was doing at the time? If anything many of the themes and song structures (mildly) were closer to Puppets.