View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
N00B

Maiden rocked Concord with Live After death redux.

Maiden rocked Concord with Live After death redux.

It took me 2 hours to get there and there was a lot a traffic and a big crowd, it reminded me of the opening scenes of Gime Shelter, the documentary of the Stones free concert at Altamont, with all the long haired youth trotting up the California sun baked hills into the venue.

Once inside there was a carnival atmosphere of trinkets and beer kiosks and the crowd was divided among a lot of burly Hell Angel types with shaved heads and long goatees and the younger teenagers that were not born when Maiden played and recorded their seminal Live After death album back in Long Beach Arena in 1985.

I was given a green wristband for the snake pit and got to the front of stage left just as Lauren Harris was starting her set. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Lauren Harris is very talented, with a great voice and stage presence and also she looks extremely fit in person as some of her pictures online make her look a bit chunky, but live she is very slim with a gorgeous pair that we blissfully got a chance to see not once, but twice, during the Maiden set!

Lauren Harris sang her suggestive lyrics (I want you inside of me!) wearing black spandex pants with a black sleeveless t shirt and a heavy metal belt and no shoes, her naked feet and slim body made her look like a little hot little striper. With her gorgeous face and long raven jet black hair on pale white skin, she is the poster girl for all good looking Anglo Celtic women out there and she must be by far one of the slimmest brunettes in England!

I found Lauren to be talented with a great stage presence and with her voice and looks she will have no trouble making it in the family business, I just wish I could to tell her dad that little Lauren has quite a potty mouth as she opened each song with a very not very English rose yell of “Are you fucking ready to rock!?”

Lets talk about the stage , if Iron Maiden are the high priests of Metal, then their Pharaonic stage is the high temple of Metal ! Full of Sphinxes and sacred dog-gods with piercing red eyes.

The crowd was whipped into frenzy as Churchill’s speech came trough the wall of amplifiers above a background noise of Spitfires roaring in the Air:

“We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!”

The stage burst into light as the opening salvos of “Aces High” charged trough the amps like Blitzkrieg.

Bruce was in high form, reaching most of the operatic high notes, Steve Harris’s base was as pouncing as ever and the frontal attack of not 2 ax men but 3 lead guitars guaranteed a good time for all.

The boys went trough their classic set based on their Live After death album. It was an interesting concept, as it the Who had decided to tour based on their seminal “Live at Leeds” live album or if Peter Frampton toured based on his “Frampton comes alive” album.

The mosh pit was madness, we had to keep one eye on the show and another on the crowd surfers that treated to put a boot in the back of your head as they were thrown over the railings.

We sang along to the old classics, holding hands with strangers wearing a lot of piercings, brave and attractive girls in the mosh pit were also holding hands with strangers and grinding to the brutal anglo saxon riffs.

Soon enough we got to the part of a sing along with the band and the crew during the chorus for “Heaven can wait” and Lauren Harris joined her dad on stage for the chorus, behind me several young girls were piggybacking on their boyfriends and flashing their breasts and Lauren as if on cue lifted her black rock and roll t shirt over her ripped abs and flashed her gorgeous pair not once, but twice! (This was my highlight of the show for obvious reasons).

The pyrotechnics were great, with huge balls of fire exploding just the right moment and in the end were all transported back to the magic world of Live After death, lightning in a bottle captured again.

At the end of the show they played a Monty python song over the speakers as they turned up the lights to send us home: Always look at the bright side of life!

“ For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.
So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath “
Always look at the bright side of life!

Maiden rocked Concord with Live After death redux. May 28 2008.