View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Can I ask that whoever stops changing my thread titles to "UK" instead of "England". We are separate countries, not different states of the same country. The UK is a union of countries under the same sovereignity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakbobcat View Post
We should settle for:
London, England, UK
Manchester, England, UK

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I suppose, technically, yes. But just "UK" isn't correct.
I've been changing it. I'm the one that largely keeps consistency on the thread titles as they come into metalsetlists. A long time ago, I made the following decision to standardize set list titles as such:

For US: band -- city, state abbr -- month nnxx, yyyy
For Non-US: band -- city, country_name -- month nnxx, yyyy

For country name, I usually take guidance from how a country is represented in the United Nations. England may be a separate country in a union of countries but Great Britain / UK is the one with the mission at the UN and a seat on the Security Council. The membership is listed at "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". See http://www.un.org/members/list.shtml

We have similiar issues with shows in Canada and Spain. Take Spain for example. We have a couple of people who post reports for gigs in Basque Country. I usually change their country_name's to Spain for the same reason as I change England to UK. We're not trying to get into pissing contests, just trying to keep it simple.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 03-26-2008 at 12:21 PM.