View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Neil Peart: Changes Coming On Snakes & Arrows Tour Round III

Neil Peart

Considered in those terms, February 2008 in Quebec was just about perfect. The storms of December and January had piled the snow waist-deep, and white billows and pillows rounded the trees and rooftops. The daily temperatures were generally in my ideal cross-country ski range, five or ten degrees below freezing, and the skies were either crystal blue or dashed with flying snow. One morning at first light I woke up and looked through the window above my head to see a million snowflakes dancing in the air, swirling in patterns like a ballet of white atoms, a life-size snowglobe, and I found myself saying, automatically, “Hello beautiful!”

Words like that came into my mind on many days, and many nights, too, like looking up through that same window at the piercing stars and latticed treetops. But the beauty was most keenly felt when I was out in it, wandering the woods on cross-country skis or snowshoes. Nearly every day I dressed in my multi-layered winter wardrobe and headed for the trails, and this year it happens that such an aerobic, full-body workout was a perfect fitness program for pre-tour conditioning. In just a few weeks I will have to put on my drummer hat instead of my black balaclava and “Be Yourself” wool cap (bought at a London performance of the excellent musical Billy Elliot, which I attended with Carrie while we were there on tour last October). Early in March I will have to start preparing for another series of concerts, a “continuation” of the Snakes and Arrows tour. (The Snakes and Arrows “surge,” I call it.)

We had planned to end the tour in Europe last fall, but apparently more people want to see us, or see us again, so we were asked to do more shows. Some of them will be in places we haven’t got to for a while, like New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and Winnipeg, and that is nice, plus we plan to make a few changes to the setlist and presentation to freshen it up a little. Although the world knows by now that I’m not crazy about touring, I sure don’t discount the good fortune that we can still do it, personally and professionally — that we can play better than ever, and that people will come and see us. That’s not something I have ever taken for granted. As I have said to friends who might be having their own work difficulties, “At least if I have to work, I’m glad I can.” And not just any old job, of course — pretty much the best job there is — but none-the-less a hard one.

That's just the beginning of the update. Check out the drummer god's site for the full read.