View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Peace on earth sells... but who's buying?

Machine Head -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12th, 2007

Sanctity - The only thing I had heard from them before the gig was the song they had on the Ozzfest sampler (for roadrunner, even though they weren't on Ozzfest)
Stuck around for one song before going into the lobby to check out merch
They weren't a bad band, but they didn't click with me for some reason

Throwdown - The first time I heard this band was a few weeks earlier, at a skate-marathon benefit, skating behind some dude with a boom box pumping Throwdown for hours on end. To me, it was essentially another Hatebreed.
I was surprised by their performance, probably because all of their gear was set up to sound exactly like Pantera -- think of it like seeing a moderately good looking woman in one of your favorite band's t shirts.
But their set was worth some good headbanging, including a cover of Sepultra's Roots, Bloody Roots

After their set, since I wasn't TOO interested in Arch Enemy, we went backstage, and met Ben, the drummer from Throwdown, who was super cool to us, and congradulated him on a good set
Got some free Tejava, couldnt find any beer, ended up meeting Rob Flynn, Adam Duce, and Dave McClain from Machine Head. They were all good to us and thanked us for coming to the show, and found out that Dave has a cat named Mr. Chewbacca. His shirt said "if you don't talk to your cat about cat nip, who will?"

Once the backstage area got a little crowded with all of Machine Head's home town buds and some groupies past their prime, we went out to watch the rest of Arch Enemy's set.
I'm not a huge fan of their music for some reason, but they put on a good show, and Glassgow had quite a bit of stage presence.
No, I'm not talking about tits or ass, I have got to hand it to her. So far, she is the only frontwoman I have seen that can truly perform well without being a sex object. Watching her reminded me of Rob Halford in the early 80s. Seriously, no gay joke intended.

Machine Head's stage set really made my stereotypical generic metal balls tingle. 4 guitar cabs set up on each side of the stage, in a diamond shape with the MH logo painted on, rolled in and held on a stand covered in diamond plate metal. On the amps and sides of the stage were white spotlights. The black and white Machine head banner behind the stage, and a cool drum riser.

Guitars: Black Flynn ESP V, Red Acryllic Warlock; red/black demmelition v, white/black demmelition v
The replacement bassist for Duce was eh. Wasnt great, but he got the job done and didn't bother me.
During the set, they were throwing out cups in the crowd, everyone else was drinking, and some dude next to me puked right before the set, but long story short, some cool guy cleaned it, minimal slippage.
The band also had the crowd lift a dude in a wheelchair who was front row center between songs
By the end, everyone was going insane, lots of "machine fuckin head" members from the band and sanctity were jumping into the crowd
Good show 8.5/10
My only problem was the short set- 60 min/8 songs, and that there were more than enough songs on the new record that could have been done instead of Take My Scars/Descend the The Shades of Night

Clenching the Fists of Dissent
Imperium
Aesthetics of Hate
Old
Halo
Take My Scars
Descend the Shades of Night
Davidian

Last edited by TonyD; 10-14-2007 at 03:17 PM.