View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
In Search of Truth

Necromance -- Allentown, PA -- August 24th, 2007

Last night (August 24th) was my band's final gig of the summer, and I couldn't think of a better way for us to end it, playing with great friends playing great music! About a month back Steve, the guitarist from newly signed Beyond Fallen contacted us (Necromance) about putting together a show together at the Sterling, and we we're quite happy to oblidge.

Things hardly went as planned, though I'll spare most of the details. Because the other openers on the bill were very unproffessional about the whole thing, we wound up going first instead of third as planned. On the upside, the one band completely failed to show up and since we were the only ones there at the time and volunteered, we got to take their set time. Things really got under way around 7-7:30... a few people began showing up, Beyond Fallen began loading in their equipment, and we began setting up our gear on stage.

At about 8 we took the stage. Due to how early we wound up going a lot of our fans barely made it in time to see our set, but luckily most showed up not missing much. All in all, a good show for us... not one of our best but no major issues at all, and we (particularly my co-guitarist and myself) had a ton of fun onstage.

Necromance set list:
1.Intro
2.Reality
3.Never Look Back (new, live debut)
4.The Game
5.2 Minutes to Midnight (Iron Maiden cover)
6.Necromance
7.The End of Our Days
8.Breaking the Chains
9.Destiny Calls
10.We Will Rise

After our set, we basically hung out in the offstage area, including enjoying some nice catering. After us the other local acts went on. I don't recall their names, and really there was nothing worth remembering, just silly, pointless hardcore nonsense.

Beyond Fallen wound up taking the stage around 10:30 I think. Prior to the show I had been talking to them (Steve and Joe primarilly) and they filled me in on a few issues they had been having. It was announced via Blabbermouth a few weeks ago that they were parting ways with their drummer. He was still on board for last night, though it's obvious that their relationship with him has completely fallen apart. He's really just doing this out of personal obligation. Also, their rehearsal schedule has suffered a lot recently, leading to the band abbreviating their set list quite a bit. (I'll indicate what should've been played below). All in all, they put on an excellent show, particularly Joe, their frontman. What he lacks in singing ability he more than makes up for in charisma onstage. There was no shortage of great metal during their set, focusing on their new album, Mindfire. I found myself headbanging quite a bit, even to the point that my neck hurt this morning.

Beyond Fallen set list:
1.Blood on the Ice
2.Enemy of an Open Mind
3.Bomb Inside Your Head
Fuel the Fire (not played)
4.Fields of Honor
5.Mindfire
Lost in the Shadows (not played)
6.Sniper
Mask of Deception (not played)
Chasing Infinity (not played)
Rise of the Fallen (not played)
7.The Trooper (Iron Maiden cover)

After their set we hung out for a bit, including taking a big picture of all of us together save for the strange absence of both our drummers. Great guys, I really feel like they're in it for all the right reasons.
Eventually around 10 of midnight Deceased took the stage, but unfortunately shortly after they began I was kinda forced to leave for 2 reasons. Primarilly because my ride was leaving, and also because I had to get up really early today. A few friends of mine stayed though, and I got a very positive review on their set.