View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
I was listening to the Blood Mountain in its entirety yesterday (after getting off of a "Fuck Mastodon purist" trip), and I was knocked sideways by the middle section of Capillarian Crest, among other things. They're definitely good guitarists, and I'd much rather see them win the best shred instead of the guys from Machine Head or something.
When people speak of guitar shredders, they generally mean people who are known especially for playing lots of flashy, fast solos -- malmsteen, satriani, the silly dudes in dragonforce, etc. That shit is so played out. That's why it's brilliant to call the Mastodon guys best shredders: they never throw in a guitar solo just to show off. One of the things I love about Leviathan is that there are only three guitar solos on the whole damn album -- and the first two are really short (the Slayer-esque speed solo in Island and the country lick in Megalodon). They don't have a real long solo until about 10 minutes into Hearts Alive, and that solo is brilliant, and (like the earlier, briefer solos) an organic component of the song.

Like you said, that section in Capillarian Crest is astonishing. A far cry from traditional "shredding", but technically as impressive and musically far more engaging.