View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
There's two 3-credit courses, one on Irish history and the other on society. I'm not sure how much I'll get to move around, but I imagine I'll have some opportunities.
While in Dublin, whatever else you do, make sure you see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_kells

And try to do the "Dublin Literary Pub Crawl," as it's fantastic. Basically, a couple of local actors take you around town to several of the best and most historic pubs in Dublin, and tell you kick-ass stories about the legendary writers who used to frequent them (and the streets leading between them) -- James Joyce, Jonathan Swift, Samuel Beckett, Brendan Behan, Oliver Goldsmith, etc. And then at each pub they give you time for a pint and/or a shot before you're off to the next pub.

Also, for your reference: Murphy's Irish Stout > Guinness. And the best whiskey on earth is Redbreast.

I have plenty of recommendations for stuff around the country to see and do, too, but I'm sure you can figure it out on your own from guidebooks and whatnot. I think the Rock of Cashel is only about an hour's drive from Dublin and it's awesome -- ruins of a huge medieval fortress.