View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
There's two 3-credit courses, one on Irish history and the other on society. I'm not sure how much I'll get to move around, but I imagine I'll have some opportunities.
While in Dublin, whatever else you do, make sure you see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.

And try to do the "Dublin Literary Pub Crawl," as it's fantastic. Basically, a couple of local actors take you around town to several of the best and most historic pubs in Dublin, and tell you kick-ass stories about the legendary writers who used to frequent them (and the streets leading between them) -- James Joyce, Jonathan Swift, Samuel Beckett, Brendan Behan, Oliver Goldsmith, etc. And then at each pub they give you time for a pint and/or a shot before you're off to the next pub.

Also, for your reference: Murphy's Irish Stout > Guinness. And the best whiskey on earth is Redbreast.

I have plenty of recommendations for stuff around the country to see and do, too, but I'm sure you can figure it out on your own from guidebooks and whatnot. I think the Rock of Cashel is only about an hour's drive from Dublin and it's awesome -- ruins of a huge medieval fortress.
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.