View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Iron Maiden -- Athens, Greece -- March 11th, 2007

(copy from other thread)

I found this on Last.fm, I didn't write this review but it's got the setlist.

----------------------------------------------

Iron Maiden in Athens - 11 March 2007
12. Mδr. 2007, 20:04, von mimine101

Here goes, this is my first review ever and I'm really not good with these things but I'll do my best.

Iron Maiden were playing at the Hellinikon Indoor Basketball Arena. The venue had changed from another quite smaller former Olympic games stadium and judging by how full Hellinikon ended up being I'd say they could have easily moved it somewhere even bigger. Hellinikon Basketball Arena has the capacity of about 14,500 spectators and that's seated. sure, the seats behind the stage weren't used but everywhere else you looked there were people, standing on the "mosh pit" which looked crowded to the point of asphynxiation, sitting on the stairs, standing behind the rows of seats... they were everywhere. I'd guess around 20.000 people but it's completely arbitrary, no idea how many tickets were sold but sold out seems like an understatement for what was going on in there.

The boyfriend and I got there a little after the gates opened at 18:30 and half the stadium was already filled by the time we managed to get in. It was very cold and windy and I must say, I admire those kids who must have been there 2-3 hours earlier to be in the front of the line.

Around 20:00 the support act started. All I can say is that nepotism sucks and so does Lauren Harris. She's easy on the eyes, though, I'll give you that.

It seemed like ages before Iron Maiden came out (around 21:00, I believe). They started right away with Iron Maiden – Different World and continued with Iron Maiden – These Colours Don't Run and Iron Maiden – Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. I was getting ready mentally and I think everybody else in the stadium to listen to Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death from beginning to end. But Bruce told us that they wouldn't be playing the entire album (that got a huge cheer) then quickly added, almost apologetically that they would play some more songs from AMOLAD just some old songs too... And then he said that the next song was from 1980 (I think), actually way older than many of the kids in the audience and right away Iron Maiden – Wrathchild started. People went completely crazy! They had been singing along to the AMOLAD songs too but the oldie brought the house down!

According to last fm user creepdeath who kindly messaged me what i also think was the setlist, they continued with Iron Maiden – The Trooper and then Iron Maiden – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (not exactly one of my faves from AMOLAD, would have preferred the Pilgrim), Iron Maiden – For The Greater Good of God (simply amazing), and then Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden – Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden – Run to the Hills and they finished with Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden.

Of course this wasn't the end. People were chanting "Maiden, Maiden" and out they came for the encore where they played Iron Maiden – 2 Minutes to Midnight, Iron Maiden – The Evil That Men Do and Iron Maiden – Hallowed Be Thy Name.

And then it was over at around 2 hours. It felt really awesome and like even longer than it was, to me at least. I heard some people outside complaining about the sound quality but I can't say I noticed anything, maybe one or two times but it definitely didn't take anything out for me.

Bruce's rapport with the audience was awesome and he got us to sing happy birthday to Steve Harris who I think was turning 49. He also started saying the words to Iron Maiden – Alexander the Great to give a more Greek feel to the whole thing, I guess but the audience wasn't too good at singing along and he said "Ha, you've forgotten it".

I loved the Eddies, the one who came out of a tank and the huge one who showed up later. I knew about the tank Eddie but the other one was a surprise.

So, can't think of anything else... I hope you people reading get a chance to see them in this tour, it is for a great album and they are in excellent form.

--------------------

so based on what this chick said, here's the setlist for Athens

Verknόpfungen
Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden – Different World
Iron Maiden – These Colours Don't Run
Iron Maiden – Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Iron Maiden – Wrathchild
Iron Maiden – The Trooper
Iron Maiden – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Iron Maiden – For The Greater Good of God
Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden – Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden – Run to the Hills
Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden
---
Iron Maiden – 2 Minutes to Midnight
Iron Maiden – The Evil That Men Do
Iron Maiden – Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden – Alexander the Great (sorta)