View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I know how gravity works....but who is to say that God isnt the who/how and gravity is the what?

The best explanation may not always be the right one...many theories have been viewed as the best explanation, only to be disproven later.......I am not saying evolution isnt possible, but to say it IS the answer, is religion......and when it comes to faith, I would rather believe in a God that can grant me everlasting life and happiness then a theory that we evolved over millions of years purely by chance.

A law is something that can be observed in nature......no one has ever observed one species becoming another species.....until that happens, I will look at the theory critically and with skepticim. There are too many holes in the presentation of industrial melanism, the fossil records, the theory of vestigal organs, and speciation for the theory of evolution to be forced down the throats of our children.
On gravity -- that's exactly my point. There's no problem with you believing that gravity is caused by God. That may be reasonable and it may be true. But it sure as hell isn't science.

Yes, scientific progress means that theories get disproven regularly -- when better science comes along. Not when people simply decide they'd prefer to believe something else. Again, you can prefer to believe something else, and you may even be right -- but it isn't science.

No one ever observed a T Rex eating a Triceratops either, but scientists know it happened. Obviously, scientific observation can be indirect.

You should look at the theory critically and with skepticism. Of course you should. In fact, that's what good scientists always do, and have done ever since Darwin wrote The Origin of Species. I mean, it's not like people instantly embraced his conclusions; people dismissed him as preposterous! He didn't even publish his findings for over a decade because he was terrified of how people would react. But after continual reexaminations of the evidence over the past century, scientists have -- through their skeptical, critical assessment of the evidence -- come to conclude that he basically had it right.