View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Marvel Kills Off Captain America

Source: Google News

It's all over the news. Marvel has killed off Captain America with a sniper's bullet. They've been running a story line across several titles that deals with a superhero civil war of sorts. After a battle that goes wrong killing a bunch of innocents, the government decides that superheroes constitue a threat of sorts, ie weapons of mass destruction, and require to them to register. I know I'm missing out a lot of details here but it leads to a split in the super ranks. Personally, I think Marvel should not have ripped the basic premise for Pixar's Incredibles.

Here's a snippet from E Canada Now:

In issue 25, which hit bookstands today, the Captain America, who never had any superpowers, was shot by a sniper once in the shoulder while leaving a courthouse, and then a second fatel bullet then strikes him in the stomach, reporte the New York Daily News.

Series writer Ed Brubaker, 40, said he wanted to explore what the hero meant to the country.

“What I found is that all the really hardcore left-wing fans want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the street corner against the Bush administration and all the really right-wing (fans) all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam,” Brubaker said.

Joe Simon, 93, who co-created the hero with artist Jack Kirby in 1941, said he was disappointed.

“It’s a hell of a time for him to go. We really need him now,” Simon told the Daily News.