View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
My short answer is twofold: First, I'm more interested in fairness than rocketry -- and if the most efficient development of the next generation space ship depends on treating people unfairly, then I'll take the less efficient development model. Second, the assumption that affirmative action promotes "mediocrity" is not borne out by experience. Why do you think so many business and industry leaders, to say nothing of the U.S. military, favor affirmative action? It's not because they love mediocrity in their employees.
I'd rather humanity get off the planet. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I don't consider it an issue of fairness.

Affirmative Action by goal and definition promotes diversity, not excellence. That's not to say AA can't deliver excellence but it's not the focus. When the goal is not being the best, you will typically get less than the best. Thomas Sowell comments on this: Despite all the gushing about the mystical benefits of "diversity" in higher education, a recent study by respected academic scholars found that "college diversity programs fail to raise standards" and that "a majority of faculty members and administrators recognize this when speaking anonymously."

Business leaders must at minimum give AA lip service because they have to do so. A company like Microsoft may be committed to diversity but you can't honestly deny it was built on IQ points and not quotas.

The military is a much more complicated subject, but let it me suggest that if it was strictly an issue of fairness, I doubt homosexuality would be still be an issue.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 02-20-2007 at 08:02 AM.