View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 03:58 AM
N00B

Slayer -- London, UK -- November 20th, 2006

Hey guys

Sorry for taking quite a long time to do this review. Had loads of work to do for my uni.

Anyway, The final show of the unholy alliance tour! have been so excited about this show since the summer when i bought the tickets. And hadn't seen Slayer for ages! Was also excited about seeing Lamb of god and Children Of Bodom. In flames i were an added bonus, i've seen them 4 times in total supporting bands and at festivals.

Got at the venue quite late, and missed the first band "Thine Eyes Bleed" i think they are. I went with my brother and he didnt finish work til 5 and the doors opened at 6. Thine Eyes Bleed must have started at around half 6, and i didnt get to the venue til about 7.

As soon as i got in the venue i was looking at the merch. Shit loads of stuff but cos it was the last day of the tour, they only had stuff in XXL or XS. Me myself am a medium, i hate buying XL t.shirts cos i never wear them. i have like 30 tour tshirts in a draw that i never wear cos there too big and i just look stupid in them.

Anyway, just got in to see Children Of Bodom. They played for about half an hour, 7:15 - 7:45. I only have the "Are You Dead Yet?" album, and i recognised about three songs from the CD out of about 8 songs in total from there set.
They opened with "Living Dead Beat", and also played "Are You Dead Yet?", and "In your Face".
Children Of Bodom put on a good show, i was pretty satisfied but thought they were on for quite a long time, i think 20 mins would've been better. The sound was a bit distorted with keyboards, vocal, guitars and drums all happening! I fancy buying some more of there stuff, heard quite a few solos, sort of reminded me of a mix between in flames and anthrax. i give them a well deserved 7/10.

Next were Lamb Of God and the crowd went fucking crazy for these.These were on for about 30mins, 8:00 - 8:30. I only have the album "ashes of the wake" so again i only recognised some songs. I was quite amused at how much the lead singer sounded like the pantera frontman when talking (phil anselmo?). Anyway, they opened with the opening song from there new album, and played a song called red neck, and other songs included Laid To Rest, Hourglass and Now you've got something to die for which kicked ass.
The sound was much better and the crowd were a lot more welcoming to this band. But i felt they played for quite a long time, but played like they were the headlining act! 8/10.

Then In Flames. These kicked ass. They had these really cool lights on stage, and opened with the theme from nightrider which was funny and random. These were on for 45mins, 8:45 - 9:30, at this time i was like where the fuck are slayer???? Anyway, In Flames played a long set full of good material. The setlist: (order's a bit hazy tho)

-Pinball Map
-Leeches
-Touch Of Red
-Watch them feed
-Dial 595 escape
-Cloud connected
-Clayman
-Embody the invisible
-Behind Space 99
-Trigger
-Graveland?????
- Take This Life
- My Sweet Shadow

Overal a good show, lights and sound were good. At first the crowd kinda went to sleep after Lamb of god, but a few songs into In flames set the lead singer was drunk talking shit which got the crowds affection. 8/10 again.

At this pioint i was kinda disappointed cos at half 9 i thought i would've been headbanging to slayer by now. but they didnt come on til 10! Was quite disappointed cos they just played over an hour. I paid my money unltimately to see slayer, but it felt more like a mini festival with all the support acts playing extensive sets, meaning Slayer's set being reduced!

Anyway the set is: (not sure on the order again):

- Darkness Of Christ
- Disciple
- War Ensamble
- Catalyst
- Necrophobic
- Eyes Of The Insane
- Spirit in black
- Jihad
- Postmortem
- Reborn
- Cult
- South Of Heaven
- Seasons in the Abyss
- The Final Command
- Rainning Blood
----------------------------------
- Dead Skin Mask
- Angel Of Death

Ok well the setlist isnt bad considering the time limit. I love reign in blood, Season in the Abyss which the set seems to be focused on. But there were no early slayer songs...Anti-chirst, die by the sword which pissed me off. "the final command" was good tho. but i wasnt disappointed cos they played a lot of my favourite tracks!!! post moterm and necrophobic were quality.

Slayer dominated the staged, the band didnt fuck up once. the crowd went crazy. Tom Araya fucked up the vocals a couple of times, but i love the intros he gives to songs, like before war ensamble he just screams "WARRRR EEEENNNNNSSSAAAAMMMMMBLE!!!" and the same with dead skin mask. or before postmortem "there are many ways one chooses to die.....". kicks ass!!!

The stage was well set up, the amps were constucted as two huge christian crosses at either side of the stage, looked so cool. The back drop just consisted of projected images which were disturbing!!!
The only thing that pissed me off was the smoke machine, there was so much smoke, you couldn't see a thing!!! was cool at some points, but was over used.

Slayer get a generous 9/10. If the set was longer, would've been a 10.

Last edited by jaysadler2; 12-10-2006 at 01:57 PM.