View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 PM
In Search of Truth

Sebastian Bach -- Allentown, PA -- November 12th, 2006

Alright, here's my review, now it's a little late but oh well, at least it's here.

So, Sebastian Bach is currently on tour opening for Guns N Roses (basically the Axl Rose band), but he decided to do a few off-dates, one of which was at Crocodile Rock in Allentown, PA, which happens to be all of 5-10 minutes from my house. So, my sister, 2 of our best friends and myself decided to attend the show.
I was ultra-psyched for the show when I found out that Bobby Jarzombek was gonna be on drums for both Bach's band and opening band Painmuseum. Now for those of you that don't know who Bobby is, you have no clue what you're missing. The man is a god on drums, one of the finest I've ever heard. He was in Riot for about 10 years (late 80s-late 90s), as well as being a musician-for-hire for several other bands (Demons and Wizards, Halford, Rob Rock, etc).

So, we got there around 5... Doors didn't open until 7, but we needed to buy our tickets in advance. So after we bought the tickets, we went for dinner across the street. We came back around 6. By 6:30 a considerable line began to form outside, but the doors didn't "open" until 7:30. And then even then, the line was simply moved inside since it was raining. Also, it turns out that during Bach's soundcheck, he demanded everyone except his band/techies and the club owners be locked outside. Doesn't make much sense but alright. Eventually we were let upstairs just shy of 8... and upon our immediate entry, we ran into Bobby Jarzmobek! He gladly signed all the stuff me and my friend brought for him, but when we asked for a picture, he said sure, but the batteries in our camera were dead... He said we could do it later. I basically shrugged it off figuring it wouldn't happen.
So, shortly after that the band's got rolling. There were several openers (mostly local), most sucked, and all their sets were shortened. Due to how late they were running behind schedule, most of the local bands only got 15-20 minute sets. During the second band, my friend and I were able to leave and buy a pack of batteries. Upon our return, Bobby happened to be hanging out inside again, so we all got pics with him. We chatted with him for a bit, asked him a question or two (why he's not in Iced Earth anymore)... But then he had to run, and we returned to our normal spot.
After 4 different local bands, Painmuseum took the stage. Now I believe they have a singer, but he wasn't there... so the band didn't a mostly instrumental set. The band lineup including Bobby Jarzombek on drums, "Metal" Mike Chlasciak on guitars, and Rob DeLuca (Spread Eagle) on bass. The guys did a damn good job for being without a singer. Since Bobby and Mike both play/played for Halford, they did the song Locked and Loaded and Mike sang it. They played a short but good set.
A sizeable but not terribly long wait then followed.
When Bach took the stage it was madness. This was possibly the most packed I've ever seen Croc Rock. It was by no means sold out, but there was actually a very good number of people there, as opposed to most shows there. We were maybe 6th row in terms of actual rows of people (standing). The band was quite impressive (due to Mike/Bobby). Naturally they did mostly old Skid Row songs (first two albums), but there were a few new songs and such mixed in. One of the new songs "You Don't Understand", was DAMN Impressive. Some geat writing and guitar haromies, I was really impressed, I might actually buy the new album... whenever it comes out.
They did an almost full-length set... like 14 songs and a drum solo... yeah... drum solo. That was just fucking insane. One of the best I've ever seen.
So, at the end of the show, we left... I got Metal Mike's water bottle, but on our way out... Bobby stopped my friend and I and gave us his drumsticks! Haha, I'm so proud to have one... it's #4 in my drumstick collection, and probably my favorite since it was actually given to me.
So in conclusion, great show. Bach is a dick and Bobby is THE MAN.

Sebastian Bach set list (not exact, as best I could remember it):
1.Slave to the Grind
2.Big Guns
3.Here I Am
4.(New song)
5.Piece of Me
6.18 and Life
7.You Don't Understand (new)
8.American Metalhead (Painmuseum song)
9.(song from his album with Frameshift)
10.The Threat
11.By Your Side (new)