View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed
It’s easy to foam at the mouth about how fucking awesome Maiden was that night. Instead, let me put you at a Maiden amphitheater show; see for yourself what an American Maiden show is really like. Maybe you’ll get a taste of what I experienced at Gimme Ed. There is an energy about the hours before, unlike smaller concerts. It’s not just from the kids, but from everyone -- young and old. Something’s coming and it’s fucking magical. The crowds border on the Slaytanic in their dedication minus the sheer insanity and stupidity. No one casually snacks as one would at a baseball game. If you’re up front, it’s unlikely you’ll hear “Doctor Doctor” or the introductory music because the crowd will drown it out with their yelling and screaming. You’ll join in with people standing and throwing horns to the stage, as if Maiden can be summoned to appear more quickly. You’ll see giant grins on faces as if Santa was about to deliver Christmas presents at any moment. And then Maiden burst on to the stage out of the darkness. There’s usually a mosher or two but they promptly disciplined by his concert mates. Up front is more about the Crush than anything else. People will look out for you, especially if you need help or fall down. You won’t mind the mild smell of sweat; perhaps you’ll be lucky with the nearby scent of sugar and spice. It will be hot and stuffy, and you won’t have much room to move around or even breathe. You won’t even care. You’ll almost be forced to hop along with the crowd; you’ll want to anyways, so don’t worry about it. If you’re in a seat further back, you’ll laugh at the drunks and stoners collapsed in their seats but you’ll see everyone standing. For 90 minutes, you enjoy your favorite band with several thousand of your closet friends. One day, you’ll have the same feelings that I do: anyone would who suggests American fans do not appreciate Maiden can go fuck himself.

The same hyperbole can most certainly not be said for East Coast Maiden fans, or at least for the losers that attended the Worcester show.