WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   My 2008 Review Thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9456)

SomewhereInTime72 12-20-2008 08:43 PM

My 2008 Review Thread

Mhm, I've posted my top 10 in the other thread, and I figured I'd do a full 20 here, and perhaps give more depth as to why I chose them. Not to mention pretty pictures for the top 10.

Countdown style!

20. [B]Royal Hunt - Collision Course[/B] - This is a funny album, to me. Funny 'cause I'm not sure how to describe it. Hard rock? Power Metal? Prog Metal? Either way, it's intensely keyboard heavy music with some [I]great[/I] singing driving it. Good enough to make this list, for sure. Highlight: "The First Rock"

19. [B]Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes[/B] - Yes, I really liked this album. No, I did not think it was a mindblowing masterpiece like so many other people who heard it. It is what it is, a very (very) good folk(y) album with excellent arrangements and wonderful singing. Highlights: "Sun It Rises," "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song"

18. [B]M83 - Saturdays = Youth[/B] - A very poppy album. Some would say electronica... some would say shoegaze. Regardless, it's a good listen. It's an album that really brings you to another mood when you listen to it. Fun, fun stuff. Highlight: "Graveyard Girl"

17. [B]Evergrey - Torn[/B] - I feel weird that this album isn't much higher. Unfortunately, I have to say it's here. This album is pretty heavy, but maintains a firm grasp on Evergrey's Prog/Power sound. The songs don't go overboard with heaviness in bombast, and Tom Englund's vocals are as powerful and moving as always. Highlight: "Fail"

16. [B]Coffins - Buried Death[/B] - I checked out this album on a whim, and boy am I glad I did. This is the most "pure" sounding album on the list thus far, by which I mean that it is pure fucking brutal death metal. This shit kicks my ass all over the place, and I fucking enjoy it. Highlight: "Under The Stench" :fist:

15. [B]The Game - LAX[/B] - Um. What. I listened to this album mostly (indirectly) because I was so disappointed with Immortal Technique's new one. Not being a fan of this guy, I didn't expect to actually enjoy this much, but I did. Not much else to say about that... other than I lost the game while typing this. Highlight: "Money"

14. [B]Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk[/B] - Huh? I don't hate this album? Nope, I don't. It took me a whole year of (not really) listening to this album (that much) to realized that, no, it doesn't suck. It's pretty good. It's no Hatebreeder (an album of that quality released this year would probably grace the top 3), but it's still pretty alright, and a major step up from the previous album. Not bad, guys. Highlight: "Hellhounds on my Trail"

13. [B]MUCC - Shion[/B] - The second Japanese band to make my list, after Coffins, MUCC, are less metal at times, but the majority of this album is pretty freaking metal. This is probably their second best album today and features all sorts of wonderful stuff like the title tracks 5/4 chorus, or FUZZ's flat-out absurd jumpy/catchiness. It's just very nice and fun to listen to, to me. Highlights: "FUZZ," "Shiva"

12. [B]Torche - Meanderthal[/B] - So, I first heard of these guys because they were opening for Boris. I checked out a few songs and though "I guess they're pretty good." Then it turned out they were fucking awesome live, so I got the whole new album. This shit is off-the-walls stoner metal with mostly short songs, but with a few moments of heavy-ass drone parts (like the title track.) Highlights: "Triumph of Venus," "Healer"

11. [B]Nine Inch Nails - The Slip[/B] - I'm pretty into Nine Inch Nails, and give them major props for releasing this album for [I]free[/I]. However, I would not pay the (LOL TWENTY DOLLARS I SAW IT FOR NEAR ME) for a physical copy of this. It's good, but rather disappointing by NIN standards. If you will, a step down from [I]Year Zero[/I], but still better than [I]With_Teeth[/I]. I feel like I just dissed the album, but it really is pretty damned good (I just [U]cannot[/U] deny the catchiness of "Echoplex" and some other songs). I just expect more from NIN, I guess. Highlight: "Discipline"

And now, I am going to take a quick break to get me some cereal and follow this post up with a pretty little top 10. :cool:

SomewhereInTime72 12-20-2008 09:35 PM

Back to it, then.

10. [B]Mudvayne - The New Game[/B]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Mudvayne_the_new_game.jpg[/IMG]
This is another album of many on this list that I did not expect to like. I'll probably get no love for this one, hehe. This wasn't even on my "to hear" list until recently, when I was relistening to previous Mudvayne albums (despite not quite being my style of band anymore, I still have a soft spot for them)... needless to say I ended up chancing on it. I was pleasantly surprised, as I like this a lot more than 2005's "Lost and Found," which was pretty much ...geh. "The New Game" has some elements of older, technical Mudvayne sound, with many new, softer elements (this time done right), and thankfully - it doesn't fucking sound like Hellyeah. Highlights: "Never Enough," "A New Game"

9. [B]Eluveitie - Slania[/B]
[IMG]http://temadeldia.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/eluveitie-slania.jpg[/IMG]
I didn't even hear of this band until early on this year. They're fucking great. Folk metal rockin' ass-kicking melodic bullshit fuabrnhj. <- That's how awesome it is, my sentence didn't make sense. I mean. It's about time there was a good fucking metal album with a Hurdygurdy on it, right? Fucking right. Highlight: "Inis Mona," "Gray Sublime Archon"

8. [B]In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose[/B]
[IMG]http://dermapthera.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/in-flames-a-sense-of-purpose.jpg[/IMG]
This is a pretty shitty album cover, and I don't really like blowing it up here, but whatever. This album is In Flames finally getting comfortable with their new style. "Come Clarity" made me feel like I could possibly trust In Flames again after the two abominations that came before that, and I feel like this album solidifies them as a decent force again. No they are not (and never will be) the same genius music as Whoracle again (hence them not being like, 5 places ahead :lol: ), but yes this is good music. Anders' singing doesn't fucking suck anymore, and this is just a ..well, good album. I like it, that's about it. Highlights: "Alias," "The Chosen Pessimist"

7. [B]Judas Priest - Nostradamus[/B]
[IMG]http://judaspriest.com/photo/Nostradamus/AlbumCover/NostradamusAlbumCover400.jpg[/IMG]
I think everyone and their mother has heard this double album by now and has almost the same opinion of it. I feel like this is a good album, held down by and abundance of overly dramatic orchestration (that is amazing in some parts, lame in others) and segues (again, [I]some[/I] are pretty cool). And, honestly, I think the production is kind of flaccid. Now... this could have made a pretty excellent single-album, huh? Highlights: "Pestilence and Plague," "Persecution"

6. [B]Motorhead - Motorizer[/B]
[IMG]http://www.heavymetalpt.com/stuff/Motorhead-Motorizer.jpg[/IMG]
Another album I can't say much about. It's fucking Motorhead! This album doesn't deviate much from your standard Motorhead album, and that's actually a fucking plus, because (in stark contrast to "Nostradamus") this shit rules! Do you like Motorhead? You will like "Motorizer". 'Nuff said. Highlights: "Rock Out," "The Thousand Names of God"

5. [B]Metallica - Death Magnetic[/B]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Metallica_Death_Magnetic.jpg[/IMG]
(Sigh, another album everyone has an opinion on already.) What more can I say about this? This album sparks countless debates, and I can't really say much more than I think it's pretty fucking good, and this is where I rank it.

4. [B]Dir en grey - Uroboros[/B]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Dir_en_grey_-_Uroboros.png[/IMG]
I've been a fan of Japan's Dir en grey for a while now, but I honestly did not expect to like this album that much. I was in no hurry to hear it, but when I did, I was surprised to find that it was their best output in years. If I could describe the albums simply: Fucking ADHD. This is both a positive and negative, as the album jumps around from place to place, most sounding pretty awesome, and other times freaking blissful, only to hear the occasional moment of "ugh what is this." The funny part about this album is that it's half in English, but still practically undecipherable, to the point that when you hear something in English that you recognize, like "Why, oh why" in Red Soil, it's actually kinda fucking funny. Highlights: "Ware, Yami Tote...," "Doukoku To Sarinu"

3. [B]Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV[/B]
[IMG]http://www.homotron.net/nin_ghosts_I-IV.jpg[/IMG]
I may have mentioned I was disappointed with "The Slip," but I was not fucking disappointed with NIN this year. This is a double album of very varying instrumental work. It plays flawlessly from quiet ambience, to electronic beats, to absolute chaos with a tinge of Belew (not just style either, Adrian Belew fucking plays on the album). I didn't really like this album at first, but it turned out to be exactly what I wanted to hear. ...I must also mention that despite it being a Nine Inch Nails record, this album sounds incredibly organic. It's almost the complete opposite of The Slip. Not to mention 13 Ghosts II is one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces I've heard this year. Highlights: "13 Ghosts II" (obviously), "28 Ghosts IV"

2. [B]Boris - Smile[/B]
[IMG]http://www.tigernet.no/WebRoot/Tiger/Shops/Tigernet/4898/0CE2/366E/983A/DF68/5286/5705/C2F3/123037.gif[/IMG]
Here's another album that's just a complete fucking journey (last japanese band- I swear! :tongue: ). To me, this album is even hard to describe. Boris have quite a few styles they excel in, and most are featured on this album. They have soft -> noise epics, short ass-kicking fuzz-rockers, and one nameless droney masterpiece. Highlights: "You Were Holding An Umbrella," "Statement," "Untitled"

1. [B]Opeth - Watershed[/B]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BlabberPhotos/watershed.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, how I feared that this album would suck. After 2005's somewhat mediocre [I]Ghost Reveries[/I], and a replacement of two of the bands key members, it seemed as if Opeth's downfall had come. [I]Watershed[/I] sets out to prove all of this wrong. This album is pretty colossal and Opeth-y and treads new ground as well. It opens with a surprisingly short song, and closes with... well, I just wouldn't expect it to close an Opeth album. Not to mention the absolutely absurd and hilarious ending to Burden, and the blastbeats in The Lotus Eater. It contains more clean singing than your average Opeth album (even though Heir Apparent is entirely growled), which is a good thing because Mikael Akerfeldt has really gotten quite good at it! This album was truly a grower... nowhere near my number one the first time I heard it... but now here it is. My album of the year. Damn. Highlights: "Heir Apparent," "The Lotus Eater," "Burden"

And that's that. Further thoughts possibly to come.

overkiller 12-20-2008 09:43 PM

Well done sir :party: (even if I don't understand some of your choices :D). I'll probably do blurbs for my top 10 once I get my shit together and solidify it.

overkiller 12-20-2008 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=SomewhereInTime72;199092]
16. [B]Coffins - Buried Death[/B] - I checked out this album on a whim, and boy am I glad I did. This is the most "pure" sounding album on the list thus far, by which I mean that it is pure fucking brutal death metal. This shit kicks my ass all over the place, and I fucking enjoy it. Highlight: "Under The Stench" :fist:[/QUOTE]

:fist:

Such a heavy fucking band.

mankvill 12-21-2008 10:01 AM

Have you heard the Japanese version of Smile? I heard that before the normal version, and I literally could not describe the genre of music to my friend.

ChildrenofSodom 12-21-2008 10:35 AM

[B]THE GAME!!!!!![/B]

What didnt you like about Immortal Technique's new one?

SomewhereInTime72 12-21-2008 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=overkiller;199104]Well done sir :party: (even if I don't understand some of your choices :D). I'll probably do blurbs for my top 10 once I get my shit together and solidify it.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Part of the reason I felt it was a good idea to do this was because I knew I had some things in mind that would greatly differ from a good number of you guys. :tongue:
[QUOTE=mankvill;199150]Have you heard the Japanese version of Smile? I heard that before the normal version, and I literally could not describe the genre of music to my friend.[/QUOTE]

It's so fucking good. Boris are freaking confusing though, releasing like two totally different versions of the same album. :lol: I think I like the US version a little bit more, but either one is like :eek:

...Another thing I'd like to note is that I really thought this year was not so good compared to last year. I was hoping more than like 3-4 albums to [I]totally[/I] blow me away.

DethMaiden 12-21-2008 12:14 PM

You have Fleet Foxes way too low. :tongue:

Good writeups though. I got really lazy but I changed my mind. Tomorrow is my day off and I'm gonna blurb the shit out of my top 50. :rocker:

EDIT: And fucking move to Japan already.

powerslave_85 12-21-2008 12:18 PM

I'm going to give Fleet Foxes another chance. I don't think my mind will change, though. They just didn't grab me the first time.

SomewhereInTime72 12-21-2008 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom;199158][B]THE GAME!!!!!![/B]

What didnt you like about Immortal Technique's new one?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I just couldn't get into it at all. The beats, the lyrics, the flow. Nothing grabbed me as much as the Revolutionary albums did. [QUOTE=DethMaiden;199183]You have Fleet Foxes way too low. :tongue:

Good writeups though. I got really lazy but I changed my mind. Tomorrow is my day off and I'm gonna blurb the shit out of my top 50. :rocker:

EDIT: And fucking move to Japan already.[/QUOTE]

And you have Fleet Foxes way too high. :tongue: