WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Activision: GUITAR HERO Bands May Pay-To-Play In The Future (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=8934)

hot_turkey_ed 09-26-2008 09:16 AM

Activision: GUITAR HERO Bands May Pay-To-Play In The Future

Source: [url=http://kotaku.com/5055285/activision-+-perhaps-record-companies-should-pay-us?cpage=1&sort=ASC#viewcomments]Kotaku[/url] & Wall Street Journal

The venues in Guitar Hero may one day become pay to play, just like the shitty bar in your neighborhood or the second stage of Ozzfest. Kotaku commented today on a story in the WSJ, emphasizing the tensions between Activision and some in the music industry which feel they aren't seen enough green from Guitar Hero. So the ceo of Activision had this to say:

[i]There's a misunderstanding of the value we bring to the catalog...When you look at the impact it can have on an Aerosmith, Van Halen or Metallica, it's really significant, so much so that you sort of question whether or not, in the case of those kinds of products, you should be paying any money at all and whether it should be the reverse.[/i]

Ouch. One day, I'm going to swear off these games. I would be such a better bass player if Guitar Hero never existed. * sigh *

SomewhereInTime72 09-26-2008 09:22 AM

Activision is one of the worst game developers out there. :mad:

SirLardsAlot 09-26-2008 09:44 AM

Wait I don't get it :confused:

hot_turkey_ed 09-26-2008 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=SirLardsAlot;192603]Wait I don't get it :confused:[/QUOTE]

Activision is suggesting that bands pay them to appear in Guitar Hero because bands will profit from the exposure. Right now, Activision is probably paying the bands instead.

SomewhereInTime72 09-26-2008 11:02 AM

Basically, what this guy said:
[QUOTE]Yes, because NOBODY had heard of Van Halen, Aerosmith, or Metallica until Guitar Hero came along.

Let's take this logic and actually put it into a conversational format:

"Hello Metallica. We here at Guitar Hero are going to take your recordings and turn them into tracks for our video game. We will then sell those tracks to users (for a profit), and use your music to promote our franchise."

"Oh, and then we're going to send you a bill."[/QUOTE]

SirLardsAlot 09-26-2008 11:39 AM

Guitar Hero 2 = Awesome.

Guitar Hero 3 = Sucks.

Guitar Hero 4 = Gonna sucks.

Bow down to Rock Band, the superior product. Red Octane and Guitar Hero need to go away.

hot_turkey_ed 09-26-2008 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=SirLardsAlot;192615]Guitar Hero 2 = Awesome.

Guitar Hero 3 = Sucks.

Guitar Hero 4 = Gonna sucks.

Bow down to Rock Band, the superior product. Red Octane and Guitar Hero need to go away.[/QUOTE]

I really liked GH3. After playing RB1, I wish it had a shuffle feature for song choice but over all I'm happy with it.

RB1 on PS3 was a major disappointment. My launch day hardware all broke very quickly. Not having a lot of folks to play the band mode in my living room sucked.

RB2 isn't leaving my xbox tray. It's that damn good. Importing all the RB1 songs (except a couple) is a major bonus. Between those and the huge DLC I've bought with my metal milk money, my playlists are freaking huge with lots and lots of metal. Fixing the band mode for us single players ruled. Add more character customization (i.e oblivion character creation) and it's all gold for me.

I'm really worried about GHWT. While RB has been about fun, GH has been about shred. In COPYING Rock Band, I fear for the soul of franchise. I don't another want another Rock Band. I want an even harder (than III) Guitar Hero IV. At the end of the day, I play more than one shooter and I'll probably play more than one music game.

Also, the RB2 hardward seems to be of A LOT better quality that my RB1 launch day gear. The only question is whether it last more three week to 60 days.

SomewhereInTime72 09-26-2008 12:42 PM

Unles GHWT turns out to really surprise us with its awesomeness, I'm pretty sure RB2 is the definite better choice. I played it once and it was soooooooo fun.

SirLardsAlot 09-26-2008 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=hot_turkey_ed;192616]I really liked GH3. After playing RB1, I wish it had a shuffle feature for song choice but over all I'm happy with it.

RB1 on PS3 was a major disappointment. My launch day hardware all broke very quickly. Not having a lot of folks to play the band mode in my living room sucked.

RB2 isn't leaving my xbox tray. It's that damn good. Importing all the RB1 songs (except a couple) is a major bonus. Between those and the huge DLC I've bought with my metal milk money, my playlists are freaking huge with lots and lots of metal. Fixing the band mode for us single players ruled. Add more character customization (i.e oblivion character creation) and it's all gold for me.

I'm really worried about GHWT. While RB has been about fun, GH has been about shred. In COPYING Rock Band, I fear for the soul of franchise. I don't another want another Rock Band. I want an even harder (than III) Guitar Hero IV. At the end of the day, I play more than one shooter and I'll probably play more than one music game.

Also, the RB2 hardward seems to be of A LOT better quality that my RB1 launch day gear. The only question is whether it last more three week to 60 days.[/QUOTE]
GH3 was awful. There were like, maybe 10 good songs, and they were not even fun to play.

Edit: Here's a list of the good songs in the game and their funness.

Bulls on Parade - [COLOR="Red"]Boring to play[/COLOR]
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll (Crappy Cover) - [COLOR="Yellow"]Parts of the song are fun.[/COLOR]
Cult of Personality - [COLOR="Red"]Too hard to enjoy playing[/COLOR]
Devil Went Down to Georgia - [COLOR="Red"]Too hard to enjoy playing[/COLOR]
Holiday in Cambodia (Crappy Cover) - [COLOR="Green"]Fun to play[/COLOR]
Knights of Cydonia - [COLOR="Green"]Fun to play[/COLOR]
The Metal -[COLOR="Red"] Too annoying to play[/COLOR]
Mississippi Queen - [COLOR="Red"]Boring to play[/COLOR]
Number of the Beast - [COLOR="Green"]Fun to play[/COLOR]
One - [COLOR="Red"]Too annoying to play[/COLOR]
Paint it Black - [COLOR="Green"]Fun to play[/COLOR]
Paranoid (Crappy Cover) - [COLOR="Yellow"]Decent to play[/COLOR]
Raining Blood - [COLOR="Red"]Too hard to play[/COLOR]
Rock and Roll All Night - [COLOR="Red"]Boring to play[/COLOR]
Rock You Like a Hurricane - [COLOR="Red"]Boring to play[/COLOR]
Sabotage - [COLOR="Red"]Boring to play[/COLOR]
The Seeker (Crappy Cover) - [COLOR="Yellow"]Decent to play[/COLOR]
Welcome to the Jungle - [COLOR="Yellow"]Decent to play[/COLOR]

4 out of the 18 (out of the 48 total songs, not including the horrendous bonus songs) good songs are fun to play.

RB2 is incredible. They took the almost-perfect RB1 and fixed anything that was wrong with it.

However, the only thing I am disapointed with RB2 is how the character creator is pretty much identical. Barely anything new was added.

TonyD 09-26-2008 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=SomewhereInTime72;192600]Activision is one of the worst game developers out there. :mad:[/QUOTE]

I guess you forgot about a little game called Tony Hawk's Pro Skater