WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Opeth - Watershed (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=8612)

zgodt 07-17-2008 08:32 PM

Opeth - Watershed

By most standards, its a decent album. By Opeth standards, a grave disappointment.

Consider: there's not a single riff on the album as good as, say, the outro riff of Harlequin Forest from Ghost Reveries. And Harlequin Forest is no better than the 5th best song on Ghost Reveries. And Ghost Reveries is not as good as, say, Deliverance or Blackwater Park... you see where I'm going with this...

It's good, well-made metal. But for Opeth, it's surprisingly conventional on the whole. It has its moments, of course. None of it's bad. And these are first impressions (bought the album today, on my 3rd listen now). So maybe it will grow on me... but it seems to be lacking in spirit. Too safe, and too slow, and too pretty for Opeth.

What ya'll think?

powerslave_85 07-17-2008 08:40 PM

I honestly didn't find myself listening to it much beyond the first few times. I think you're right in saying it's a little too safe. Other than "Heir Apparent," which is probably the heaviest thing they've ever done, it treads the usual ground in the usual way. It'll probably still make my year-end list, but that's because there hasn't been a whole lot this year to get excited about.

Derelict 07-17-2008 10:07 PM

Good album, but I can't say I would put Watershed in front of any other Opeth album.

DethMaiden 07-18-2008 04:05 AM

I liked it a lot, honestly, but I appreciate the swing toward the mellower stuff that it demonstrates on the whole. I loved Damnation and Ghost Reveries, and this feels like a marriage of the two.

SomewhereInTime72 07-18-2008 08:51 AM

I actually like it a shitload more than Ghost Reveries. It probably wont be album of the year or anything, but it'll still rank high. Everything through "Burden" is perfect, but the last two songs drag a little bit. It's still all good though.

Edit: By "Burden" I meant "Porcelain Heart", got the track order a bit confused.

DethMaiden 07-18-2008 09:01 AM

Album of the year is looking doubtful for me too, what with the Fleet Foxes album raping and pillaging everything else I hear. :D

ADD 07-18-2008 12:28 PM

Didn't really like it, but I think its just cuz I don't dig their style anymore. If they played more 'Damnation' style music I'd listen again though.

crimsonslaughterpark 07-18-2008 01:58 PM

I am a big fan of opeth but there albums always seem to take a while to grow on me. This album is no exception. I am not too big into this ablum. I think its one of there middle of the pack albums. Solid.

andrew_metalhead 11-09-2008 06:34 PM

Good album. I love Lotus eater specially. The song was pure fun when I saw them playing it live.

SomewhereInTime72 11-09-2008 06:51 PM

This album has actually grown on me massively since then, and might actually end up being my album of the year. I absofuckinglutely love Burden.