ChildrenofSodom is Dead
25. Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed - Saw these guys on Gigantour, and recieved them less harshly than most of you probably did. I don't think the singer has an awful voice. Unfortunately, nothing original can be found on this record. Some catchy stuff, but nothing I can't find elsewhere. My brother bought this, so I don't feel too bad.
24.Dethklok - Dethalbum - Yeah. We get it. The cartoon is about a metal band. Thank you. The songs were average-at-best but catchy/funny. I didn't need an entire album of this stuff.
23.Daath - The Hinderers - Saw these guys on Headbangers Ball. Kinda liked Subterfuge. Sat in on my brother's guitar lessons for a few weeks, and after hearing that shit over-and-over-and-over again, I hated it. Very boring live. I don't even think I dragged my heat-stroke-inflicted body out of the shade to watch them. Crappy vocals, FYI.
22.Kamelot - Ghost Opera - Just got this album a week ago, and haven't really gotten a fair lesson from it, but from what I have heard, sounds like Kamelot.
21.Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything - Just recently bought this too. Sounds like power metal. And the singer is a babe. Don't know if that counts as a review of the album
20. Shadows Fall - Threads of Life - I foolishly convinced myself at the end of last year, that this album was going to be my most-anticipated of 2007. Flop. Some catchy stuff, but as a whole it doesnt hold any of the metalcore-values that I found in War Within.
19. The 69 Eyes - Angels - Brother bought this one. Its your standard 69 Eyes. Some fist-pumpin' songs here, some quasi-depressing goth over there, some ridiculously catchy stuff next door. Its nothing new, but its very entertaining. This band is definetely my guilty pleasure.
18.The Autumn Offering - Fear Will Cast No Shadow - So, the first track "From Atrophy to Obsession" is grade A metalcore. The new singer is completely opposite the singer from Embrace the Gutter. This guy actually has a range. The rest of the album isnt bad, I just havent had a chance to sit down next to the fire with it
17.Rush - Snakes and Arrows - Just got this a few days ago, havent listened to it all the way through. I love what I have heard so far though. 17th is just an arbitrary placement, although you could say 1-16 were the good albums, and 17-25 were the 'eh' albums.
16.Dawn of Solace - The Darkness - Shit. This came out in 2006. Too lazy to fix list. Show must go on
. 15.Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost - These guys blew me away live. Figured the same would happen when I got home with the CD. Some killer riffs on this album. Some real headbangers. Unfortunately, the vocals and drums make it very hard to differentiate between tracks. The 2-3 minute length averge doesnt help either.
14.Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying - These guys are very entertaining. I don't need to say anything about the Waste: Its all been said before.
13.At All Cost - Circle of Demons - A good album suprisingly. M-A calls them "groove metalcore", and that is exactly what they are. With vocals ranging from death grunts, to metalcore screams, to screamo screams, to punk yelps, this album has a very eclectic sound. The riffs are awesome, and the song structures don't feel scripted like most metalcore today. The anti-status-quo themes carry over from Time to Decide, which "is a good thing."
12. Men As Trees - From the Crow's Nest, Looking Out - Cant saying anything about this that Brad didnt already. I think the screamo label is a little misleading, because the post-rockery is what I enjoy most. These guys are AMAZING live, and the energy that comes through your speakers is amplified sevenfold in a live setting.
11.Ministry - The Last Sucker - My first dose of Ministry, and I like it. I heard lieslieslies when it came out, but never gave Al and the gang a real chance. It sounds like what I imagine Ministry has always sounded like. Its very focused, catchy, and 'fun.' Sad this they're going out with this one though. Guess its best though: they won't have anything to complain about under the Paul administration.
10. Darkest Hour - Deliver Us - I never thought I would listen to one of those albums on the Victory Label commercials. Darkest Hour are considered metalcore, but they bring a little something extra to the table. The vocals are nothing special, but the guitars seem to have depth and groove. The bass is very loud, in my opinion, which makes the music sound very 'clouded' but not necessarily bad. The drums are also more technical (progressive I suppose) than your typical metalcore. I'll defintely get their next release. Cool artwook ta-boot.
9. Between the Buried and Me - Colors - I don't feel like saying too much about this album. Its cool. I love the range of genres. Haven't listened to it all the way through in one sitting, which I guess 'sells' the album, but I like it nonetheless.
8. Baroness - Red Album - I just bought this album to finish my Baizley collection.
7. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet - Goddamn. Wish I listened to this album more often. Unfortunately, I never have time to just sit around and listen to music (I sleep too much). These songs were absolutely killer live. This, Baroness, and BTTBM are definetly going to climb my list as I listen to them more and more.
6. 3 Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blades - Can't say much about this album. I have to admit, it doesnt deserve to be the high. The latter half of the album is very unmemorable, but the first 5 songs were my official summer soundtrack for 2007. Not to mention some jazzy riffs. ;)
5. Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte - You can't understand this album unless you listen to it. The juxtaposition of orchestra and metal, choir and doom, soft and heavy. Its awe-inspiring. Go listen to it.
4. Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir - Artist is November's Doom
3. Paradise Lost - In Requiem - My second taste of PL after their self-titled. I don't have Draconian Times, therefore no basis for comparision, but I really like this album. Each song is enjoyable. Nothing breath-taking, but nothing terrible. My Most Consistent Album of 2007 album.
2.Swallow the Sun - Hope - This album slays balls. Each song has its highs and lows (musically), and the album is a great mixture of both rapid anger and subtle despair. Great band live. I disagree with Brad when he says that this is basic melodic death metal. This album is so different from all other melodeath doom that I have heard. I ain't no lengwist ore nuffin', so I cat explane it. Its just good.
1.Three - The End is Begun - My number 1. I remember being the only one here who had heard of or cared about the band Three. I dont think that has anything to do with me liking it so much. I don't like comparing Joey Eppard to Coheed or Rush, because for 1) Three is far better than the former and incomparable to the latter, and 2) I see something extra when Joey sings. When you hear or watch Geddy Lee sing, he makes it look so easy. He sounds like he's just high-in-the-clouds, and it takes zero effort to sound like that. When you listen to Joey, you can hear a little more passion, a little more emotion, IMO. Very original sound. The band is very tight-sounding, and I anxiously await their next release. [/B]
I just can't imagine putting an album on my list that I didn't even listen to in its entirety.
BTW, the hate towards Metalocalypse by metalheads still astonishes me.
[QUOTE=powerslave_85;177819]I just can't imagine putting an album on my list that I didn't even listen to in its entirety.
BTW, the hate towards Metalocalypse by metalheads still astonishes me.[/QUOTE]
Well, alot of my 07 CDs I didnt get till about a week or so ago. And seeing as how this is my last day to make a list, I had to make some leaps.
And it isnt that I hate Dethklok, its that I dont need a silly cartoon that draws more Dragonforce fans than true fans to make a full-length album. Its completely uncalled for.
Have Within Temptation stopped being formulaic yet?
Sharon den Adel really nice, by the way. Very pleasant to talk with.
damn, 3IOB is popular this year
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:02 PM.|
Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008