WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   True Metal America -- Allentown, PA -- October 12th, 2003 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=7345)

Maiden33 10-13-2007 08:21 PM

True Metal America -- Allentown, PA -- October 12th, 2003

Last night was the night I'd been waiting for for quite a long time now, the True Metal America show at The Sterling Hotel in Allentown, PA. A friend of mine did a good part in getting this show booked, and thankfully TMA organizer Bob Mitchell was kind enough to let my band open the whole gig. A few last minute changes to the lineup were made, as Hallows Eve had to drop off the bill, as did Seventh Calling. Joe Hasselvander's project the Hounds of Hasselvander stepeed in, as Joe was already playing with Raven.
So the running order of the night from bottom up:
Necromance
Hounds of Hasselvander
Attacker
Overdrive
Raven

So, the doors opened around 7, about the time we were loading our stuff on stage and sounchecking and whatnot, and the show started sometime between 7:45 and 8.
Our set was great if I do say so myself. I was very proud of how we played and I think for once we had quite a good sound mix. I had a lot of fun onstage as did my bandmates, and I think the crowd gave us a pretty solid response. Naturally the highpoint of our performance crowd-wise was our performance of The Trooper, which someone told us afterwards was one of the best Maiden covers they'd ever heard. I figure it was exagerating, but hey, still a compliment.
Necromance set list:
1.Never Look Back
2.Breaking the Chains
3.Necromance
4.The End of Our Days
5.Destiny Calls
6.The Trooper
7.We Will Rise

After our set it was a pretty long wait until the Hounds of Hasselvander came on so it gave us more than enough time to load back up and socialize a bit, as a good number of people we knew came out to see the other bands as well as us. Hounds came on sometime around 9:15 I estimate, and played a little bit over a half hour set. Not a bad performance, but a tad boring if you ask me and not really my "thing" to begin with". So, it was probably about 10:30 until Attacker came on. I've never been a big fan but as with the first time I saw them last year, they're a good live act as they put on a great show both in terms of technical performance and stage performance. Their set was in the neighborhood of 45 minutes, but unfortunately I can't give a solid set list, but I know for sure that they played Soultaker, Disciple, Revelations of Evil, Sleepy Hollow, and about 4 more.
Following Attacker was Overdrive, who came all the way from the UK for these shows, which seemed very strange to me. This was no doubt a gig that didn't pay all that well, and the two shows were both at small venues to very small crowds. Either way, these guys gave it their all and played a good set, I was impressed by a lot of the instrumentation but the vocals were a bit below standard for me, not in style but because I felt the vocalist wasn't trying very hard, probably because he was also playing guitar. Either way, a good set and they were very nice guys.
It was almost 1 AM by the time Raven finally came on, which was a bit upsetting but the wait wasn't long as we were in good company and my friend was DJ-ing and played pretty good tunes the majority of the time.
From the moment they hit the stage it was just pure energy and ownage. Despite their age (about 50-ish) the Gallagher brothers are still as energetic as ever, including John's piercingly high vocals in just about every song. They give such a fun performance that makes you want to just bang your head, not even caring that it was into the wee ours of the morning. Eventually the whole thing wrapped up around 2:30 AM. Yes, you read that right, 2:30 AM. Without a doubt the latest-running show I've ever been to.
Raven set list, though out of order, included the following songs... I pieced it back together as best as I could.
1.Take Control
2.Live at the Inferno
3.All For One
4.Crash Bang Wallop
5.Break You Down (song from forthcoming album)
6.Mind Over Metal
7.Guitar Solo
8.Rock Until You Drop
9.The Rocker (Thin Lizzy cover)
10.Break the Chain
11.I Don't Need No Doctor (Who cover)
12.Lambs to the Slaughter
I may be missing 1-2 songs and there was a bit of jamming going on, and as I mentioned, the order is probably a bit jumbled. However, great show, really glad I stuck around till the end. You rarely see a band perform with as much energy and passion as these guys. Good times, good times.

ADD 10-13-2007 09:43 PM

Kickass Raven set, too bad about Hallows Eve though :(

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft 10-13-2007 10:06 PM

I saw Raven once. Them and Slayer opening for WASP back in 87'.

Maiden33 10-13-2007 10:29 PM

Oh yeah, Raven also played Speed of the Reflex

Bloodcurse 10-14-2007 06:23 AM

Attacker's set was:

I Am Sinn
Emanon
Sleepy Hollow
Heavy Metal Disciples
Soultaker
Nail it Down
Revelations of Evil
The Hermit

Maiden33 10-14-2007 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=Bloodcurse;169818]Attacker's set was:

I Am Sinn
Emanon
Sleepy Hollow
Heavy Metal Disciples
Soultaker
Nail it Down
Revelations of Evil
The Hermit[/QUOTE]

Were you there?

Bloodcurse 10-14-2007 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Maiden33;169866]Were you there?[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Maiden33 10-14-2007 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=Bloodcurse;169869]Yup.[/QUOTE]

Oh alright. Yeah, I just saw the comment you left on my myspace, so that explains it. Haha. Thanks.