WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sonata Arctica's Unia... (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=6706)

hot_turkey_ed 05-25-2007 09:56 PM

Sonata Arctica's Unia...

So Jesus and his band released a new album! I picked it up tonight... anyone else get it so far? My first listen will happen shortly...

Spiral_Slave 05-26-2007 04:45 AM

I have it. This is an album that I can gauruntee you will not love and appreciate after one listen. After about 6 or 7 listens though, I have grown to absolutely love it. The lyrics, the vocal melodies, everything. The one thing that bothers me about this album is that the guitars have really taken a back seat. They are almost exclusively really tuned down chugga-chugga rhythms. THis upset me, because Jani is one of my all time favorite guitarists. However I've grown to appreciate this album for what it is, ( and hell there is a few great solos on there ) and I really, really enjoy it now. Tony Kakko said it was going to be sort of like a treasure hunt, it takes a long time to get it but when you do it will pay off and I'd say that's a fair assessment. My favorite tracks are Paid In Full, It Won't Fade, The Harvest, and The Vice.

DethMaiden 05-26-2007 06:24 AM

I'm either buying this or the new Marillion this weekend. Haven't decided which yet.

DethMaiden 05-26-2007 05:30 PM

Bought it today.

hot_turkey_ed 05-26-2007 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=Spiral_Slave;158191]I have it. This is an album that I can gauruntee you will not love and appreciate after one listen. After about 6 or 7 listens though, I have grown to absolutely love it. The lyrics, the vocal melodies, everything. The one thing that bothers me about this album is that the guitars have really taken a back seat. They are almost exclusively really tuned down chugga-chugga rhythms. THis upset me, because Jani is one of my all time favorite guitarists. However I've grown to appreciate this album for what it is, ( and hell there is a few great solos on there ) and I really, really enjoy it now. Tony Kakko said it was going to be sort of like a treasure hunt, it takes a long time to get it but when you do it will pay off and I'd say that's a fair assessment. My favorite tracks are Paid In Full, It Won't Fade, The Harvest, and The Vice.[/QUOTE]

I listened to it today and agree with your main points. One listen won't do, and there is much appreciate in their efforts.

overkiller 06-02-2007 07:09 AM

[QUOTE=hot_turkey_ed;158215]I listened to it today and agree with your main points. [B]One listen won't do, and there is much appreciate in their efforts.[/B][/QUOTE]

:lol:

You're kidding, right?

Maiden33 06-02-2007 11:07 AM

I am very dissapointed in the album myself. I've only been able to stomach about 4 or 5 whole listens after owning it for a week. It's somewhat hard to put my finger on exactly why I don't like it, but I just don't. I mean, it's not like they really had this big overnight musical change, the style is fairly close to Reckoning Night, it's just there seems to be something missing. It's obvious this album is a far cry from their early stuff, but it just lacks some magic. The songs seem very uninspired, the song strucutures are all over the place, most of the lyrics make very little sense, and has anyone else noticed that there aren't very many solos or even lead breaks on this album? It seems like every section, one after another, is just another weird meandering in weird vocals and lyrics with strange chord progressions. It grew on me slightly more after a few listens, to the point I can actually enjoy a couple songs (mostly ones early on the album, "Paid in Full", "In Black and White", a few others), but the last couple songs on the album are complete crap in my opinion. And not to end on a low note, they give us another installment of "let's butcher a classic!" with a slaughtering of Gary Moore's essential Out in the Fields. Yes this review is harsh. It was intended to be. Maybe it'll grow on me but thus far it hasn't.
I seriously considered a rethinking of whether or not I want to see them in October now, but I'm still gonna go, if only to see Firewind make SA look like pansies.

Div 06-02-2007 01:47 PM

whats the appeal of this band? ive listened to ecliptica and it only had a couple halfway decent songs. best power metal ever? yea right.

hot_turkey_ed 06-02-2007 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=Div;158710]whats the appeal of this band? ive listened to ecliptica and it only had a couple halfway decent songs. best power metal ever? yea right.[/QUOTE]

Not the best but damn good. Great live band too.

I would agree some of albums are a bit inconsistent. Unia is an exception to that for me. I really like it.

Maiden33 06-05-2007 10:27 AM

It still hasn't grown on me at all... at this point I don't think it's going to.