WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Misinformation and Propaganda (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Heavy Metal Is Evolving, Not Dying" (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=6234)

hot_turkey_ed 01-29-2007 08:16 AM

"Heavy Metal Is Evolving, Not Dying"

Source: [url=http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=66105]Blabbermouth[/url], [url=http://www.ocolly.com/]Austin Porter of The Daily O'Collegian[/url]

Blabbermouth is featuring an article from Austin Porter The Daily O'Collegian about the evolution (not death) of heavy metal. Austin uses Atreyu, Trivium, and Killswitch Engage as examples of bands pushing metal forward. Yes, his list reads like there has been too much Headbanger's Ball in his diet; I couldn't disagree more. Bands like Mastodon are the ones really driving metal; progressive will be next big thing, not something that is babysteps away from the dying metalcore scene.

However, the headline is what caught my eye. In our market (the San Francisco Bay Area), there are fewer and fewer metal shows. Even when the Pound was open, the last couple of months weren't exactly that active. It makes me think metal isn't as strong in 2007 as it was in 2005. What's it like where you live?

zgodt 01-29-2007 08:25 AM

If there's a heavy metal scene at all in Ann Arbor, it's invisible. And as far as I know, ditto for Detroit.

It seems silly that even Blabbermouth would pay attention to that article. It's obviously an amateurish piece of commentary by an inexperienced college student who knows little about music and less about life.

JRA 01-29-2007 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=zgodt;142356]If there's a heavy metal scene at all in Ann Arbor, it's invisible. And as far as I know, ditto for Detroit.

It seems silly that even Blabbermouth would pay attention to that article. It's obviously an amateurish piece of commentary by an inexperienced college student who knows little about music and less about life.[/QUOTE]

Blabbermouth posts useless shit for sexless losers to bitch and complain about. I can picture a thousand idiots right now going "Trivium sucks!" yadda yadda yadda

Div 01-29-2007 08:46 AM

Sometimes I have a 2 minute conversation with other metal fans on campus or at the mall or something, usually spurred by a shirt Im wearing or a recent tour that came through. Bands I've had people talked about are Megadeth, Napalm Death, Overkill, Metal Church, and the mighty Manowar.

Otherwise I'd say it's pretty nonexistant. And if someone needs to use a copycat band like Trivium to justify metal being alive or "evolving" then they really don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'd like to throw in another Manowar quote: "It's a shame that future musicians growing up now are being influenced by trash; it's really upsetting. You are basically formed by what your influences are and if you've got losers for influences, you're going to have a hard time overcoming that." -Eric Adams in an interview conducted in 1988

JRA 01-29-2007 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=Div;142359]Sometimes I have a 2 minute conversation with other metal fans on campus or at the mall or something, usually spurred by a shirt Im wearing or a recent tour that came through. Bands I've had people talked about are Megadeth, Napalm Death, Overkill, Metal Church, and the mighty Manowar.

Otherwise I'd say it's pretty nonexistant. And if someone needs to use a copycat band like Trivium to justify metal being alive or "evolving" then they really don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'd like to throw in another Manowar quote: "It's a shame that future musicians growing up now are being influenced by trash; it's really upsetting. You are basically formed by what your influences are and if you've got losers for influences, you're going to have a hard time overcoming that." -Eric Adams in an interview conducted in 1988[/QUOTE]

STAND AND FIGHT!!!

:fist:

overkiller 01-29-2007 09:36 AM

Blabbarmouth is smrt!!!!

zgodt 01-29-2007 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=Div;142359]I'd like to throw in another Manowar quote: "It's a shame that future musicians growing up now are being influenced by trash; it's really upsetting. You are basically formed by what your influences are and if you've got losers for influences, you're going to have a hard time overcoming that." -Eric Adams in an interview conducted in 1988[/QUOTE]

Did he then go on to say he was heavily influenced by Pat Boone and the Brothers Gibb?

JRA 01-29-2007 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=zgodt;142369]Did he then go on to say he was heavily influenced by Pat Boone and the Brothers Gibb?[/QUOTE]

That's ok, because Eric Adams is a kickass singer!

powerslave_85 01-29-2007 10:53 AM

The article has a picture of Avenged Sevenfold. Anything in that article is null and fucking void.

"Photo Credit: Myspace"
FFS :hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

EDIT: Ok, I actually read the article. This guy can't possibly be serious.
PS- Jesus, he's a fucking terrible writer to boot.

EvilCheeseWedge 01-29-2007 11:09 AM

The "metal scene" in Toledo is at best "hardcore" and worst "screamo." We just played our first major gig in Toledo opening for Dead to Fall and the other local openers, uggggh. We soundchecked a chunk of "Heaven and Hell" and got a lot of blank stares. Once we kicked into our set (which is more "modern" sounding) we won the crowd over, but we had a ton of people come up to us after the show "Wow, your vocalist actually... sings!" That didn't sit well with the "hardcore" band on after us though, they were constantly shouting at us from side stage. I wanted to pull a Blaze and after a song just start yelling "FUCKING KILL HIM!" But we just ignored them.