WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Hip-Hop discussion thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=6039)

JRA 12-13-2006 05:07 PM

The Hip-Hop discussion thread

So I've been noticing that there are in fact folks around here who do listen to hip-hop and aren't ashamed to admit it. I personally have been listening to it since the beginning of this year. As of right now, I own

Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Eric B. & Rakim: Paid In Full
The Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique

So far, all three of these own. I've been using the top twenty list at Digitaldreamdoor.com as a buyer's guide. I'm sticking strictly to the classics at this point. I have no interest in Eminem's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog impersonations or Fergie's sorry excuses to get ladies on the dance floor.

So, yea... start talkin.

ChildrenofSodom 12-13-2006 05:11 PM

I like R&B stuff, that isnt vulgar....

i like Vanilla Ice, Mc Hammer, and alot of those style (slow, rythmic rapping).

JRA 12-13-2006 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom;136553]I like R&B stuff, that isnt vulgar....

i like Vanilla Ice, Mc Hammer, and alot of those style (slow, rythmic rapping).[/QUOTE]

Rakim isn't vulgar, or at least Paid In Full isn't.

DethMaiden 12-13-2006 05:12 PM

I dig Eminem a little.

JRA 12-13-2006 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;136558]I dig Eminem a little.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Eminem]And I am, whatever you say I am
If I wasn't, then why would I say I am, 2000[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Rakim]I'm the R, the A, to the K-I-M
If I wasn't then why would I say I am, 1987[/QUOTE]

Nuff said.:cool:

DethMaiden 12-13-2006 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=neilpeartjr.;136560]Nuff said.:cool:[/QUOTE]

I think Eminem's real-life lyrics are very good but his run-of-the-mill "yo bitch" lyrics are as detestable as the entire rap scene. But songs like "Stan" show that Eminem's a fairly brilliant guy.

powerslave_85 12-13-2006 05:25 PM

These days, the only hip-hop I listen to is Beastie Boys and Lady Sovereign, who's a 19 year old white British girl who just so happens to be one of the best and most interesting rappers around.

powerslave_85 12-13-2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;136561]I think Eminem's real-life lyrics are very good but his run-of-the-mill "yo bitch" lyrics are as detestable as the entire rap scene. But songs like "Stan" show that Eminem's a fairly brilliant guy.[/QUOTE]
Eminem has some brilliant, powerful shit, but before he knew it MTV had him by the balls and he just kept putting out those garbage novelty, "funny" songs.

DethMaiden 12-13-2006 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=powerslave_85;136563]Eminem has some brilliant, powerful shit, but before he knew it MTV had him by the balls and he just kept putting out those garbage novelty, "funny" songs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he has his moments. Stuff about his daughter, though I can't recall any titles, is always particularly moving. And what was that song with Dido? That one was great too.

JRA 12-13-2006 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;136564]Yeah, but he has his moments. Stuff about his daughter, though I can't recall any titles, is always particularly moving. And what was that song with Dido? That one was great too.[/QUOTE]

That one was Stan.