WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bring Your Daughter... (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=5769)

EvilCheeseWedge 10-30-2006 09:38 AM

Bring Your Daughter...

We had an awesome moment in band practice the other day. I pulled out the first guitar I ever bought, a cheap Squier electric that came as part of a $200 pack (you know, everything a beginner needs: amp, cables, etc.) - the strings hadn't even been changed on the poor thing in two years. I just started playing some old stuff I haven't touched in an equal amount of years. Back when I got the guitar, I primarly taught myself how to play from Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden songs. So I just started jamming - what I can still remember - from some songs. Of course our whole band is familiar with Maiden's catalog, but we only have one Maiden song that is a fully polished show-ready cover ("The Wicker Man".)

Anyways, I started playing "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" - a song which I think is a lot of fun to play. Well, nobody else really knows how specifically to play it, but our vocalist has a huge stack of lyrics floating around, so he quickly grabbed the lyrics, and we just started charging into the song head first.

We do a lot of random jams like this, but none turned out quite as [i]awesome[/i] as this one did. I was able to remember the majority of the song, and had a lot of fun with it (tons of whammy, pick scrapes, etc.) and the vocalist really got into it to. We even threw a really cool ending on it. It ended up sounding so good, we're gonna start practicing and polishing it for inclusion in the set now. Not so much as a serious song, but more a fun/jammy type song. (It's just too weird/stupid to take seriously.)

Just thought you all should know ;)

ChildrenofSodom 10-30-2006 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=EvilCheeseWedge]We had an awesome moment in band practice the other day. I pulled out the first guitar I ever bought, a cheap Squier electric that came as part of a $200 pack (you know, everything a beginner needs: amp, cables, etc.) - the strings hadn't even been changed on the poor thing in two years. I just started playing some old stuff I haven't touched in an equal amount of years. Back when I got the guitar, I primarly taught myself how to play from Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden songs. So I just started jamming - what I can still remember - from some songs. Of course our whole band is familiar with Maiden's catalog, but we only have one Maiden song that is a fully polished show-ready cover ("The Wicker Man".)

Anyways, I started playing "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" - a song which I think is a lot of fun to play. Well, nobody else really knows how specifically to play it, but our vocalist has a huge stack of lyrics floating around, so he quickly grabbed the lyrics, and we just started charging into the song head first.

We do a lot of random jams like this, but none turned out quite as [i]awesome[/i] as this one did. I was able to remember the majority of the song, and had a lot of fun with it (tons of whammy, pick scrapes, etc.) and the vocalist really got into it to. We even threw a really cool ending on it. It ended up sounding so good, we're gonna start practicing and polishing it for inclusion in the set now. Not so much as a serious song, but more a fun/jammy type song. (It's just too weird/stupid to take seriously.)

Just thought you all should know ;)[/QUOTE]

Living Martyr had done stuff like that with This is the War (Vader), A Touch of Blessing, The Prisoner, Run to the Hills, Holy Diver, and a few others..

Oh...and I actually talked to our new singer for the first time today.

EvilCheeseWedge 10-30-2006 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom]Living Martyr had done stuff like that with This is the War (Vader), A Touch of Blessing, The Prisoner, Run to the Hills, Holy Diver, and a few others..

Oh...and I actually talked to our new singer for the first time today.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, jams are a hell of a lot of fun.

Out of those we jam "Holy Diver" and "Run to the Hills" from time to time. Holy Diver is somewhat of a theme song since it's the ringtone on my phone and always has been. Not to mention our drummer always makes the mistake of saying something like "I'm going to ride the hi-hat on this next time." At which point someone starts playing the riff and goes "Ride the hi-hat, you can see its stripes..." etc. :eyes:

You guys got a vocalist? Sweet :)

ChildrenofSodom 10-30-2006 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=EvilCheeseWedge]Yeah, jams are a hell of a lot of fun.

Out of those we jam "Holy Diver" and "Run to the Hills" from time to time. Holy Diver is somewhat of a theme song since it's the ringtone on my phone and always has been. Not to mention our drummer always makes the mistake of saying something like "I'm going to ride the high-hat on this next time." At which point someone starts playing the riff and goes "Ride the high-hat, you can see its stripes..." etc. :eyes:

You guys got a vocalist? Sweet :)[/QUOTE]

THEY ARE CALLED HI-HATs...not HIGH HATS...:mad:

yeah..the kid that gave me the Aerosmith/Motley Crue setlist actually listens to Lamb of God, Bloodbath, Children of Bodom, along with alot of 80s metal/rock...so...He told me that he was a singer, so i asked him if he wanted to be in the band.....and he said yeah. That was all on Myspace...I had actually never met him before today...haha

EvilCheeseWedge 10-30-2006 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom]THEY ARE CALLED HI-HATs...not HIGH HATS...:mad:

yeah..the kid that gave me the Aerosmith/Motley Crue setlist actually listens to Lamb of God, Bloodbath, Children of Bodom, along with alot of 80s metal/rock...so...He told me that he was a singer, so i asked him if he wanted to be in the band.....and he said yeah. That was all on Myspace...I had actually never met him before today...haha[/QUOTE]

My bad, I'm at work, so I usually type up these posts as fast as I can with minimal brain activity.

Hmm, that sounds interestin'.

ChildrenofSodom 10-30-2006 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=EvilCheeseWedge]My bad, I'm at work, so I usually type up these posts as fast as I can with minimal brain activity.

Hmm, that sounds interestin'.[/QUOTE]

he doesnt growl, but that is okay considering we arent a death metal band :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge 10-30-2006 11:28 AM

Sometimes I wish we played some death metal stuff. But I'm the only person in our band that listens to it.

ChildrenofSodom 10-30-2006 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=EvilCheeseWedge]Sometimes I wish we played some death metal stuff. But I'm the only person in our band that listens to it.[/QUOTE]

both Brad and I listen to it, but I have the shittiest double bass pedal in the world.I told my grandpa that he shouldnt have bought it, as advised by my drum instructor after he tried to make it work better, but my grandpa has some crazy Zionist conspiracy theory that he only said that to make money for the store.

DethMaiden 10-30-2006 11:50 AM

I really want to be in an acoustic-guitar-and-mellotron traditional prog band. Oh well.

EvilCheeseWedge 10-30-2006 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden]I really want to be in an acoustic-guitar-and-mellotron traditional prog band. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Since I can't do death metal, my material usually pushes us into more proggy waters. Our drummer gets into arguments with me almost every time we play my songs because most of them have weird transitions (or none in the case of one song, just 180's basically) and time signatures and QRish backing stuff (for strings, other parts, sound effects, etc.) Basically it just takes a little more work to learn the parts and get in sync with the instruments and backing, but the end result is usually worth the hassle. Damn drummers...