WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Skid Row -- New York City, NY -- October 29th, 2006 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=5767)

Robert 10-29-2006 09:37 PM

Skid Row -- New York City, NY -- October 29th, 2006

Since I am lucky enough to live in the city, and take advantage of concerts like this I just HAD to go. This was a FREE concert, at the New Hard Rock cafe in times square (they moved from 57th st about a year ago?) promoted by eddie trunk the NYC/ VH1 classic, Metal-DJ. To promote their new record, Revolutions Per Minute.

Now, I saw skid Row back in the day opening for Bon Jovi before they took off big, and I knew their day would come. Well, it came and went along with all other hair metal. But some bands are still chugging along, and skid row is trying to keep it going. Good for them, they still rocked, sounded great with a new singer (since 2000, apparently) and new drummer, who plays great, and looks like the blink 182 guy (lots of tats!!!). The new singer has a bit of a Bret Michaels look going on, (bandana over blond hair, with formed straw cowboy hat), but at least its stylish and works well for him. Snake sabo, and Scotti Hill basically look the same as they did, both played great, and Rachel Bolan, has a shorter spikey do, and has lost the nose chain (much better imho). Unfortunately, the weakest link in the group is now the singer, who is caught between having to fill Bach's vocals an almost impoossible job, and stake out his own persona. Don't get me wrong, He has a pretty-good voice, but not really the extreme top to fill Bach's highest screams, then again, who does. The new songs were good, and I am definitely going to pick up this record to support.

There were a lot of people in really great costumes, as there was a give away of a big box of cd's and signed guitar and so-forth.

VIP's in the crowd included Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth, Dave Ellefson, KISS mgr. Doc McGhee, and Mike Piazza. (managed a pic with piazza but it didn't turn out) :mad: but did get pics of the crazy finale, will try to post soon)

OK the set list,
(I mean thats what we're here for, the music DUH?)

Thick is the skin (new?)
Piece of me
Sweet little sister
New Generation
18 and Life
Monkey Business
Another Dick in the system (new)
Big Guns
Psychotherapy (Rachel on vocals)
I Remember You
Disease (new)
Slave to the Grind
encores
Beat Yourself Blind
(Snake guitar solo)
Strength (new, cover of "The Alarm")
Youth Gone Wild
with eddie trunk, Mike Piazza, and others on stage for back-up vocals

If you liked skid row back in the day, I definitely recommend checking them out again. They have a quick little club tour going on (with King's X!!), check their web site for dates!!!

Until next time, my fellow bangers!
"Live to fly, fly to live, Do or Die, Aces High!"

hot_turkey_ed 10-29-2006 09:46 PM

Thanks for the report! :fist:

JRA 10-30-2006 05:45 AM

Eddie Trunk is the fuckin man! I'm glad to see his Halloween bash turned out great.

SomewhereInTime72 10-30-2006 08:56 AM

Thats awesome !!

anthraxmosher 11-01-2006 04:06 PM

Skid Row should get back with Sebastian Bach and start making some decent music again. Theres tons of people out there, including myself, who would love to see that happen. Now swallow your stupid pride and do it Bach!!!

MetalDrummer888 11-01-2006 04:20 PM

does anybody else find it odd that this review is almost entirely comentary on the bands clothing and appearence? :eyes:

Robert 11-02-2006 10:41 AM

Hey excuse me I havn't seem them live in 16 years! And I was impressed how snake and scotti basically look the same. They have ages well. Have you seen Warrent lately? I rest my case. And the singer DOES dress and look like Bret Michaels, could have been a poison tribute band singer.

I said they played great, the new songs were good, and the sound in the venue was quite good, and I recommendand the tour to those who can go.

BTW, Bach will probably NEVER tour with them again, he can do a solo tours and do all the hit songs with a backing band, besides, isn't he having more fun touring arenas with Axel right now?

JRA 11-02-2006 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=Robert]Hey excuse me I havn't seem them live in 16 years! And I was impressed how snake and scotti basically look the same. They have ages well. Have you seen Warrent lately? I rest my case. And the singer DOES dress and look like Bret Michaels, could have been a poison tribute band singer.

I said they played great, the new songs were good, and the sound in the venue was quite good, and I recommendand the tour to those who can go.

BTW, Bach will probably NEVER tour with them again, he can do a solo tours and do all the hit songs with a backing band, besides, isn't he having more fun touring arenas with Axel right now?[/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you, but you won't find too many "hair metal" enthusiasts around here. Although being a Metal Sludge enthusiast, I can say that after seeing some recent pics of Jani Lane, :eek: :eek:

ChildrenofSodom 11-02-2006 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=MetalDrummer888]does anybody else find it odd that this review is almost entirely comentary on the bands clothing and appearence? :eyes:[/QUOTE]

FASHION POLICE!!

es156 11-02-2006 03:07 PM

[quote=neilpeartjr.]Hate to break it to you, but you won't find too many "hair metal" enthusiasts around here. Although being a Metal Sludge enthusiast, I can say that after seeing some recent pics of Jani Lane, :eek: :eek:[/quote]
Robert, don't listen to the youngsters around here. They were not around for the 80's and the hair metal years, but that does not mean that some of us old guys won't appreciate the reports. Post away.

:light: