WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=5736)

Maiden33 10-24-2006 06:24 AM

Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth

I know, there's an album reviews forum, but this isn't really a review.

There's a few Savatage fans on this board, and as you may know, Circle II Circle is the new band of ex-Tage frontman Zak Stevens, and they just released their new album, Burden of Truth, a concept album based around the story of the Da Vinci Code.
All I can say is WOW. Amazing album. I've been playing it regularly for 3 weeks now since I got it, and it still is just incredible. Easily wins my #2 album of 2006 slot, and who knows, in the weeks to go left in the year [I]might[/I] even overtake the new Maiden album.
It's better than the other two CIIC albums, and argueably better than all of Zak's albums with Savatage.
I just wanted to tell everyone that they should definately check this out. It's just amazing. Almost every track is a killer song, very catchy, yet very heavy. It also features several "odes to Tage", being the presence of piano on some tunes, and the KILLER "vocal round" in the title track. I just wanted to recommend this album to basically everyone, cause it blew even my expectations away who is a HUGE Zak Steves / Savatage fan.

EvilCheeseWedge 10-24-2006 07:16 AM

You know, I'd like to get it, but the [i]DaVinci Code[/i] is a fiction book for dummies. Now, why the hell you'd choose to write an album about someone else's shitty fiction is just beyond me. Either they're trying to cash in, or lyrical creativity for Stevens has reached an all-time low.

But your review is making me think I should give it a listen ;)

ChildrenofSodom 10-24-2006 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=EvilCheeseWedge]You know, I'd like to get it, but the [i]DaVinci Code[/i] is a [B]conspiracy[/B] for dummies. Now, why the hell you'd choose to write an album about someone else's [B]batshit stupid conspiracy theory[/B] is just beyond me. Either they're trying to cash in, or lyrical creativity for Stevens has reached an all-time low.

;)[/QUOTE]
fixed

SomewhereInTime72 10-24-2006 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom]fixed[/QUOTE]
:eyes: It's a book, it's presented as fiction. :eyes:

I'm with Mr. Cheese on this. Album based on The Davinci Code sounds kinda dumb. I'm also not too familiar with Savatage, so I'd rather get material by them instead.

ADD 10-24-2006 02:52 PM

:lol: I thought the Da Vinci Code was a great book, but I guess if you say that you're a n00b nowadays:dorky:

EvilCheeseWedge 10-24-2006 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=ADD]:lol: I thought the Da Vinci Code was a great book, but I guess if you say that you're a n00b nowadays:dorky:[/QUOTE]
When I read it I thought it was like reading an action movie. No substance.

I hate to think what the movie was like...

Maiden33 10-24-2006 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=ADD]:lol: I thought the Da Vinci Code was a great book, but I guess if you say that you're a n00b nowadays:dorky:[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this, I thought it was a great book and movie, and in response to one of the replies, I feel the lyrics on the album are amazing.

I guess I shouldn't have put that in the original post cause now that's all people see.
Though in honesty, it's kind of one of those "passive concept albums", where you CAN put it in context with the story if you want, but almost everything makes good sense and is relatable outside of the storyline.

EvilCheeseWedge 10-24-2006 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=Maiden33]
I guess I shouldn't have put that in the original post cause now that's all people see.[/QUOTE]

Why? Every time the album is promoted anywhere it's mentioned. Believe me, I already knew about it ;)

ChildrenofSodom 10-25-2006 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=SomewhereInTime72]:eyes: It's a book, it's presented as fiction. :eyes:

I'm with Mr. Cheese on this. Album based on The Davinci Code sounds kinda dumb. I'm also not too familiar with Savatage, so I'd rather get material by them instead.[/QUOTE]

No. Dan Brown ACTUALLY believes in it all. He takes his own conspiracy theories and puts them into his fiction.

EvilCheeseWedge 10-25-2006 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom]No. Dan Brown ACTUALLY believes in it all. He takes his own conspiracy theories and puts them into his fiction.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure I buy that. I think the conspiracy side tends to get promoted a little too much, and maybe they hint that more is true than what really is, but that's what generates attention and sales.

My problem with the book is that it's so freakin' dry. It's a paint-by-numbers ordeal. Conspiracy, fiction, whatever... it's lame, lame, lame! And writing an album based entirely off of somebody else's book just smacks of a cash-in.