WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Primus -- Portsmouth, VA -- May 21st, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25222)

IrritatedTrout 05-23-2014 06:29 PM

Primus -- Portsmouth, VA -- May 21st, 2014

1. Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
2. Last Salmon Man
3. Southbound Pachyderm
4. Over the Falls
5. Lee Van Cleef
6. The Heckler
7. Jilly's on Smack
8. Mr. Krinkle
9. Eleven
10. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
11. Mrs. Blaileen
12. Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
13. Harold of the Rocks
14. Too Many Puppies

This was my first time seeing Primus and it was an interesting experience. This show was at a small amphitheater and didnít sell all that great. Iím not really surprised given that Primus only has a certain amount of mainstream appeal but there were more people there than would have fit into the next smallest venue around here so thatís good. I knew the Primus fans were gonna be dirty and boy was I right. :lol: Quite a collection of people. It was also more violent than I expected. Where I was (right in front of Les) was fine but Les even had to call one guy out in the middle of the set because he was being too aggressive. The opener, Beats Antique, was interesting. They played like world and electronic music and had two performers that did belly dances and various things. Iíd never pay to go see it but it was an entertaining act.

Unfortunately, having an opener meant Primus got less set time and they went on around 9:15. Les was a great player, as expected, but I also really enjoyed Larryís skills and the drummer (I donít even know his name haha) was fantastic too. Iím not a huge Primus fan and only have Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda, and the new one (which I hate actually) so I wasnít familiar with a lot of songs they did but they were all very enjoyable. Highlights for me were Jerry Was a Racecar Driver, Too Many Puppies, Wynona, and, even though I had never heard it until they played it, The Heckler. Southbound Pachyderm was also really cool and I liked the South Park tease during Harold of the Rocks. Last Salmon Man really sorta sucked and so did Lee Van Cleef but most of that album sucks so I guess it makes sense. :lol: Jillyís on Smack was interesting thanks to Lesí playing at least and Mr. Krinkle was really cool. Is that a rarity? I feel like I donít see it on setlists often but I could be wrong. I was really hoping for My Name Is Mud but Iím sure theyíll play that one next time. Overall it was a cool show and Iíll hopefully have the chance to catch them again in the future.

Oh, and the astronauts with the faces that moved all night were really cool.

Motorvatin 05-23-2014 06:53 PM

thanks for the review. interesting coming from a first timer. i've seen them 13 times and Les related bands another 10 times. the regular "evening with" shows are only 17 or 18 songs, so 14 with an opener is pretty good. The rarities (although not so much recently) are the heckler and blaileen. krinkle is played at least a couple times per leg of a tour, similar to puppies and eleven. for a show with an opener, this setlist is awesome. as for the new album, i like a lot of it, salmon man and lee van cleef are good, but getting a little old at every show. jilly is probably the best song from the new album. also the drummers name is Tim 'Herb' Alexander.

adamclark52 05-23-2014 06:59 PM

[I]Mr. Krinkle[/I] is rare enough, so are [I]Mrs. Blaileen, Eleven[/I] and [I]the Heckler[/I]. They seem to have around twenty to twenty-five songs they perform live these days and they rotate them all in a set of fifteen or sixteen songs. There are still a lot of songs you a never going to hear I fear (I'd love to hear [I]Professor Nutbutter's House Of Treats, Arnie[/I] or the [I]Toys Go Winding Down[/I] some day).

I really should go see Primus again some day but I don't expect any of those deep cuts I'd want to hear. And I agree; the new stuff is crap.

Onioner 05-23-2014 07:18 PM

A Primus crowd can seriously fuck you up if you're on the center of the floor. For such silly sounding music, their fans beat the living shit out of each other.

Motorvatin 05-23-2014 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=Onioner;573076]A Primus crowd can seriously fuck you up if you're on the center of the floor. For such silly sounding music, their fans beat the living shit out of each other.[/QUOTE]

yeah especially with a pudding opener. shit hits the fan quick. those unfamiliar won't know what hit them. literally.

[B]adamclarke:[/B] also Toys gets played fairly regularly, have seen it 6 times since 2010. Just depends where you are and what shows you go to. i know a person who has been to 4 shows and gotten a fisticuffs every time. been to 13, no fisticuffs. also have seen a nutbutter (the second last one played) back in 2004.

IrritatedTrout 05-28-2014 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=Onioner;573076]A Primus crowd can seriously fuck you up if you're on the center of the floor. For such silly sounding music, their fans beat the living shit out of each other.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my friend couldn't believe it when I told him the crowd was violent at a Primus show. :lol: