WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mastodon -- Minneapolis, MN -- May 7th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25145)

Cross Face Chicken Wing 05-12-2014 06:28 AM

Mastodon -- Minneapolis, MN -- May 7th, 2014

Mastodon:

Hearts Alive
Divinations
Crusher Destroyer
Capillarian Crest
Black Tongue
Bladecatcher
Crystal Skull
Siberian Divide
Naked Burn
Megalodon
Oblivion
Blasteroid
Chimes at Midnight
High Road
Bedazzled Fingernails
Aqua Dementia
The Sparrow

Observations:

*Mastodon is absolutely killing it right now. This is a band at the top of their game.
*If Mastodon is smart, they'll continue playing a balanced mix of old and new songs like they have on this tour. The audience at First Ave was really into both the old and the new stuff. You don't always see that with a band like Mastodon whose sound has lightened up over the years.
*I'd say Bladecatcher got the biggest reaction of the night, followed closely by Black Tongue.
*Replace Bedazzled Fingernails w/ Trampled Under Hoof and The Sparrow with Blood and Thunder and this is the perfect setlist.
*If I'm being real picky, I'd also swap Crystal Skull with I am Ahab.
*Does Brent now have a giant bald spot or did he shave the top part of his dome to show off his head tattoo?
*Chimes at Midnight sounded excellent

Gojira:

To Sirius
The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
Backbone
Flying Whales
L'Enfant Sauvage
Toxic Garbage Island
In the Forest
Oroborus
Vacuity

Observations:

*Another band absolutely killing it right now. Gojira was so damn impressive I thought they might upstage Mastodon (they didn't, but still...)
*I like Vacuity, but Gojira needs to make Explosia a permanent set closer. They closed with it at Knotfest a few years back and that old West guitar outro is perfect.
*I chuckled at the tree-hugging propaganda Gojira has at their merch table. It's hilarious to me that a band this heavy probably cries every time a tree is cut down.
*I also love trees, so back off.

Kvelertak:

┼penbaring
Spring fra livet
Sultans of Satan
Bruane Brenn
Ulvetid
Nekrokosmos
Evig Vandrar
Blodt°rst

Observations:

*The singer wore a giant dead bird on his head during the first song. Perhaps the bird died when a tree Gojira was trying to save was cut down?
*I also love birds, so back off.

Natrlhi 05-12-2014 07:35 AM

Observations:

*Nice review - the first I've read so far with setlists for all three bands.
*Great setlists all around. Very bummed to have missed this tour.
*Kvelertak have been doing that bird head thing for a while now. Are you sure it wasn't an owl?
*Funny comments on the conservationist side of Gojira. Cattle Decapitation are even heavier, and they have very similar politics.
*I love whales, sharks, owls, birds and all endangered species, but I'm generally only passionate about trees to the extent that killing them puts animals in harm's way, so come at me bros.

dcmetal108 05-12-2014 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;571334]Observations:

*Nice review - the first I've read so far with setlists for all three bands.
*Great setlists all around. Very bummed to have missed this tour.
*Kvelertak have been doing that bird head thing for a while now. Are you sure it wasn't an owl?
*Funny comments on the conservationist side of Gojira. Cattle Decapitation are even heavier, and they have very similar politics.
*I love whales, sharks, owls, birds and all endangered species, but I'm generally only passionate about trees to the extent that killing them puts animals in harm's way, so come at me bros.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

IrritatedTrout 05-12-2014 09:30 AM

Nice review. :lol: Looking forward to this tomorrow.

Cross Face Chicken Wing 05-12-2014 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;571334]Observations:
[/QUOTE]

Very likely was an owl, but I wasn't 100 percent sure. Aren't owls considered birds? I thought the term "bird" could also be used to describe an owl.

mankvill 05-12-2014 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Cross Face Chicken Wing;571389]Very likely was an owl, but I wasn't 100 percent sure. Aren't owls considered birds? I thought the term "bird" could also be used to describe an owl.[/QUOTE]

Bird could also be used to describe an Ostrich

Natrlhi 05-12-2014 12:11 PM

[IMG]http://theswollenfox.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IMG_7027.jpg[/IMG]

This is probably what you saw, and yes - an owl is a bird.

bobbie solo 05-12-2014 12:21 PM

Architects also align with Sea Shepherd and it makes me love them even more.

Christen 05-12-2014 03:13 PM

Great review, I need to see Gojira again at some point.

TonyD 05-12-2014 03:43 PM

You pretty much nailed it on the head. I love Bedazzled Fingernails and Blasteroid, but either way it sucks when they cut out a Remission song.