WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sevendust -- Royal Oak, MI -- April 28th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25081)

kevindeets 04-30-2014 04:00 PM

Sevendust -- Royal Oak, MI -- April 28th, 2014

The last time [B]Sevendust[/B] did an acoustic tour was in the fall of 2003 right before their album SEASONS came out. That was a fun and unique show, so I was looking forward to this one very much, especially since their newest album is an acoustic album. I've seen Sevendust close to 50x, and this was due to be one of the most unique shows I've ever seen them play. The crowd went crazy as soon as they started "Trust." The next song was "Prayer," which has been one of my favorite Sevendust songs for a long time. They sounded great in the acoustic setting, which especially highlights LJ's voice. They also had a cool light show, and the crowd still rocked out on occasion. This set featured a lot of interaction w/ the crowd. LJ talked about how they had so much fun recording this album that they just had to take it on the road. He mentioned how hard it was to sing a heavy song like "Crucified." To be honest, that song & "Denial" are 2 of my favorite songs of theirs, but I do not care for the acoustic versions at all. However, the fans have spoken, and they voted for the band to re-record those songs acoustically. I thought it was neat how the band recorded 6 new songs and had the fans vote for the 6 songs from their back catalog for them to re-record to fill out the album. To me, the old songs are hit or miss as acoustic songs. I love the acoustic "Gone," "Karma," & "Trust" even more than the originals, though. The 6 new songs are great! I wish they would've played all of their new songs, though, since they may never do another acoustic show. "Under It All" was another early highlight, and they talked about how the song "The Wait" was about coping w/ the death of John their guitarist's dad. In the middle of the set they played bits of "Hold On Loosely" by 38 Special & "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. That was goofy & fun. They took a 20-min break in the middle. During the 2nd set Clint Lowery sang their cover of "Hurt," but it was more like Johnny Cash's version than NIN's. That was amazing. They said they were in Nashville the night Johnny Cash died. They said they had never played "Karma" live before this tour, but the fans wanted them to do that song. The acoustic version is fantastic! Overall this was an amazing show! I've seen Sevendust so many times that I'm surprised I enjoyed it THAT much. It was beautiful, and I hope to see them do another acoustic show, hopefully with less than 11 years in between. Setlist:

[B][U]Set one[/U][/B]
Trust
Prayer
Crucified
Xmas Day
Under It All
Skeleton Song
Hold On Loosely / Don't Stop Believing
The Wait
Denial
Disgrace
Rumble Fish
Gone

[B][U]Set two[/U][/B]
Come Down
Hurt (Nine Inch Nails cover)
Angel's Son
Black

Dj1214 05-01-2014 04:53 AM

Nice review, glad you enjoyed the acoustic set.
I've been a fan since 99 and have seen them close to 30 times and even got a chance to take part in a meet and greet in 2010 which was a great experience as they are really down to earth dudes.
Anway I like some acoustic and was thinking of going to check this out next Saturday in Philadelphia but i keep telling myself hearing songs like Black and Trust acoustic and not loud and heavy will be too weird for me lol. But everything i keep hearing from this tour is positive so maybe I'll check it out.
Did they have a good amount of merch? T-shirts and what not?

Nick_to_the_face 05-01-2014 06:32 AM

I was really bummed I couldn't see them when they came through here on the acoustic tour.

kevindeets 05-03-2014 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Dj1214;569935] I like some acoustic and was thinking of going to check this out next Saturday in Philadelphia but i keep telling myself hearing songs like Black and Trust acoustic and not loud and heavy will be too weird for me lol. But everything i keep hearing from this tour is positive so maybe I'll check it out.
Did they have a good amount of merch? T-shirts and what not?[/QUOTE]

Dude, check out this tour! The acoustic versions of TRUST & BLACK are different, but still good. I actually prefer the acoustic TRUST to the original. Plus, if you've seen 7d some 30x this may be your only chance to see them do a different set. As much as I love 7d (they're my favorite band), they play pretty much the same 12 songs at every show. Check out this acoustic tour if you are at all interested. I guarantee you'll like it. For merch they had a few different t-shirts ($30). One pf them had the acoustic tour dates on the back. I wanted to buy one of those BLACK OUT THE SUN hoodies, but they didn't have any hoodies at all.