WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Misinformation and Propaganda (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls - July 15 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=25064)

Onioner 04-28-2014 01:48 AM

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls - July 15

The new Priest album is incoming. New song here:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkoNQ-7uRw[/url]

First impression: Something sounds really off. Rob's vocals are weirdly reverbed and not very forceful and the guitars sound strangely thin and warbly. The song itself certainly isn't embarrassing though, I'm getting a very Hell Patrol vibe but like, more upbeat. Rob's lyrics also aren't seriously horrible on this one, which hopefully bodes well for the rest of the album. Honestly, the band just sounds really held back or something.

I don't know, I'm hoping that this will be a grower but right now I'm getting the feeling that Priest are finally gonna make their "we're fucking old and can't rip anymore" album. It may not be a bad thing to have just kind of an anthemic super classic metal sounding record, but I was really hoping that they'd tear our heads off with what I'm assuming to be their final album.

Edit: So I just AB'd this with Hell Patrol and Rapid Fire. Something is definitely weird about this song's mix, but I honestly can't put my finger on what exactly. It's like everything is weirdly EQ'd in their own special way and the guitars are way too hard-panned and they all sum up to something that sounds collectively not that great. I'm really really hoping that this song is just a rough mix or is unmastered or something (the fact that you need to crank the track a bit on Youtube is implying the latter), I'd be pretty disappointed if the entire album sounded like this.

ravenheart 04-28-2014 02:16 AM

I think part of it is down to just being shitty bit-rate. It all sounds tinny and a bit splashy (technical terms), which is a classic symptom of low bit-rate files.

I think what's more significant is it's a really boring song.

Onioner 04-28-2014 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;569432]I think part of it is down to just being shitty bit-rate. It all sounds tinny and a bit splashy (technical terms), which is a classic symptom of low bit-rate files.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt that, but just compare this song to something like Point of Entry, which is a sonic masterpiece. There is just zero force or weight to this mix. Glenn's live tone has also been fucked for the last few years, I'm thinking that they slapped an SM57 or something on that and called it a night.

ravenheart 04-28-2014 03:13 AM

I'm still more concerned that the song sucks ;)

PVH5150 04-28-2014 03:27 AM

[QUOTE=Onioner;569435]Glenn's live tone has also been fucked for the last few years[/QUOTE]

This is what happens when you stop using Marshall.

Onioner 04-28-2014 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;569439]I'm still more concerned that the song sucks ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd honestly take this over half the songs on Nostradamus. Could be a bit of fun live. Now that album is really a damn shame. There's like 40 minutes of just totally badass material on there but the rest is just not good at all.

Piroxen 04-28-2014 03:44 AM

The song itself is good, but Rob's vocals on chorus are very weak. Feeling pity listening to it.

ravenheart 04-28-2014 04:58 AM

[QUOTE=Onioner;569443]I'd honestly take this over half the songs on Nostradamus. Could be a bit of fun live. Now that album is really a damn shame. There's like 40 minutes of just totally badass material on there but the rest is just not good at all.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought Nostradamus without the silly segue tracks is a great album.

Every heavy track on it had better riffs than this new one. Which barely has a riff at all to speak of.

IrritatedTrout 04-28-2014 05:10 AM

The song was ok but the production was quite poor.

EvilCheeseWedge 04-28-2014 05:43 AM

What the fuck did they do to this mix? It doesn't bode well that this is the title track imo.