WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Sabbath -- Hamilton, Ontario -- April 11th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24963)

adamclark52 04-11-2014 10:12 PM

Black Sabbath -- Hamilton, Ontario -- April 11th, 2014

Black Sabbath
Support: Reignwolf
Date: Friday April 11th, 2014
Venue: First Ontario Center (formally Copps Coliseum) in Hamilton, Ontario
T-Shirt Worn: Pentagram (not the band)

I showed up way earlier than I’d wanted to for this show. I really didn’t want to see Reign Wolf. I was worried about him/them since I knew how your average Black Sabbath fan would react to a guy playing guitar and a bass drum all by himself. Thankfully he brought his full band out for the first three songs. He/they played some pretty good blues-based rock not unlike the White Stripes, just more intense. He had a great guitar tone and loved what he was doing, but it got a little boring after a half an hour. And in a large venue it was lost. If I saw him/then in a club it would probably be awesome. He played six songs; one was called [I]Electric Love[/I] (the song that's him on guitar and bass drum by himself), and another cool one with an electric mandolin that looked like a Gibson Explorer. I think that song is actually called [I]Electric Mandolin[/I]. He/they were actually really good.

After only a fifteen minute break (which was fucking awesome) Black Sabbath came out to surprisingly little fanfare. People will shit on them at this stage of their career, specifically on Ozzy. But he actually sounded really good. The only song where his voice was bad was [I]Into the Void[/I], which was too bad because it’s probably my favorite song by them. Aside from that he sounded fine, especially on the newer songs from 13. I guess they were written with his current key in mind. Too bad those songs really did suck. And I noticed some guitar overdubs on the three new songs. Not that it really matters. Geezer Butler was the highlight of the show for me. He doesn’t move much aside from his strumming hand. But his strumming hand is just crazy to watch. I love how he strums with all four fingers at once rather than one or two fingers. And the times when his bass was really audible through the mix (which was unfortunately not too often) he had a really great tone. The set was good. They played some really cool videos during a few songs, a couple that had tons of boobs. But the video during [I]Under the Sun[/I] was actually really awesome. It had some pretty harsh religious imagery from movies that looked to me to be from the 1940’s to the 1970’s. The drum solo was a bit lame and went on for way too long. But they played a few bars of [I]Supernaut[/I] and another song that I recognized but can’t name right now before it. They played a few bars from another song I recognized before [I]Paranoid[/I] too. I was glad to hear a lot of songs I didn’t expect like [I]Into the Void, Fairies Wear Boots[/I] and [I]Children of the Grave[/I]. The only songs I could do without were the new songs and [I]Dirty Woman[/I]. That song just sucks. They played for a surprisingly long time, close to two hours. If they’d cut the four songs I wasn’t a fan of it would’ve mad for a more digestible hour and a half. Two hours was a bit long for me.

One thing I wish about this show was that I'd gone with someone else. I knew at this show not to expect any deep cuts or surprises (even though songs like [I]Under the Sun, Behind the Walls of Sleep[/I] and [I]Dirty Woman[/I] could be considered that). Just the hits and the same set as every other night of this tour, the last tour and the next tour. So I really wish I could've gotten completely shit faced drunk and just rocked the fuck out. At a show like this (much like Megadeth) you just need to lower your expectations, expect nothing out of the ordinary and have fun. I still did and I’m glad I went. [URL="http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19598"]I saw Black Sabbath in 1999 on their first reunion tour[/URL] and the openers were better at that show. But I think I enjoyed Black Sabbath a lot more at this show. It didn’t hurt that I was in the fourteenth row instead of the nosebleeds.

[U]Black Sabbath[/U]
1. War Pigs
2. Into the Void
3. Under the Sun
4. Snowblind
5. Age of Reason
6. Black Sabbath
7. Behind the Walls of Sleep
8. N.I.B.
9. End of the Beginning
10. Fairies Wear Boots
11. -drum solo-
12. Iron Man
13. God is Dead
14. Dirty Woman
15. Children of the Grave
encore
16. Paranoid

adamclark52 04-11-2014 10:24 PM

EDIT: Apparently [I]Rat Salad[/I] was the other riff that I recognized during the drum solo and [I]Sabbath Bloody Sabbath[/I] was the riff before [I]Paranoid[/I]. I don't know how I missed that one. And for some reason on setlist.fm after [I]Under the Sun[/I] a song called [I]Every Day Comes and Goes[/I] is listed. I don't know what that is. I actually thought they cut that song short rather than added another segment.

TonyD 04-11-2014 11:15 PM

Every Day Comes and Goes is just the middle section of Under the Sun

sarsip 04-12-2014 04:54 AM

I don't understand why they don't just play all of Supernaut.

I thought Reignwolf was pretty bad. So many hundreds of better more interesting bands that would have loved that opportunity.

adamclark52 04-12-2014 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=sarsip;567202]I don't understand why they don't just play all of Supernaut.

I thought Reignwolf was pretty bad. So many hundreds of better more interesting bands that would have loved that opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah. There are a hundred other bands I'd rather have seen. Like a band I'd heard of. But all things considered it went better than I thought it would. I thought it was just him and guitar and drum and that would not have gone over well. And I'm sure it was more entertaining than the Andrew WK DJ set from last tour.

TonyD 04-12-2014 04:38 PM

Ozzy probably can't sing Supernaut, and don't forget that the last two real bands that opened for Sabbath in the US were Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, so maybe they felt like they were getting blown away.

Onioner 04-12-2014 04:54 PM

Sabbath have had an off-stage rhythm guitarist/keyboardist for years to beef up the sound when Iommi plays a solo. Just listen to the Heaven and Hell at Radio City DVD, the extra guitars can easily be heard there.

Ozzy's voice was really strong at the Mountain View date that Tony, slap and I were at last summer. I recall him only really fucking up Children of the Grave and like one line of War Pigs. Whatever he's been doing for the last year or so for his voice has definitely been working.

RumTumJM 04-13-2014 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;567185]Black Sabbath
Support: Reignwolf
Date: Friday April 11th, 2014
Venue: First Ontario Center (formally Copps Coliseum) in Hamilton, Ontario
T-Shirt Worn: Pentagram (not the band)

I showed up way earlier than Iíd wanted to for this show. I really didnít want to see Reign Wolf. I was worried about him/them since I knew how your average Black Sabbath fan would react to a guy playing guitar and a bass drum all by himself. Thankfully he brought his full band out for the first three songs. He/they played some pretty good blues-based rock not unlike the White Stripes, just more intense. He had a great guitar tone and loved what he was doing, but it got a little boring after a half an hour. And in a large venue it was lost. If I saw him/then in a club it would probably be awesome. He played six songs; one was called [I]Electric Love[/I] (the song that's him on guitar and bass drum by himself), and another cool one with an electric mandolin that looked like a Gibson Explorer. I think that song is actually called [I]Electric Mandolin[/I]. He/they were actually really good.

After only a fifteen minute break (which was fucking awesome) Black Sabbath came out to surprisingly little fanfare. People will shit on them at this stage of their career, specifically on Ozzy. But he actually sounded really good. The only song where his voice was bad was [I]Into the Void[/I], which was too bad because itís probably my favorite song by them. Aside from that he sounded fine, especially on the newer songs from 13. I guess they were written with his current key in mind. Too bad those songs really did suck. And I noticed some guitar overdubs on the three new songs. Not that it really matters. Geezer Butler was the highlight of the show for me. He doesnít move much aside from his strumming hand. But his strumming hand is just crazy to watch. I love how he strums with all four fingers at once rather than one or two fingers. And the times when his bass was really audible through the mix (which was unfortunately not too often) he had a really great tone. The set was good. They played some really cool videos during a few songs, a couple that had tons of boobs. But the video during [I]Under the Sun[/I] was actually really awesome. It had some pretty harsh religious imagery from movies that looked to me to be from the 1940ís to the 1970ís. The drum solo was a bit lame and went on for way too long. But they played a few bars of [I]Supernaut[/I] and another song that I recognized but canít name right now before it. They played a few bars from another song I recognized before [I]Paranoid[/I] too. I was glad to hear a lot of songs I didnít expect like [I]Into the Void, Fairies Wear Boots[/I] and [I]Children of the Grave[/I]. The only songs I could do without were the new songs and [I]Dirty Woman[/I]. That song just sucks. They played for a surprisingly long time, close to two hours. If theyíd cut the four songs I wasnít a fan of it wouldíve mad for a more digestible hour and a half. Two hours was a bit long for me.

One thing I wish about this show was that I'd gone with someone else. I knew at this show not to expect any deep cuts or surprises (even though songs like [I]Under the Sun, Behind the Walls of Sleep[/I] and [I]Dirty Woman[/I] could be considered that). Just the hits and the same set as every other night of this tour, the last tour and the next tour. So I really wish I could've gotten completely shit faced drunk and just rocked the fuck out. At a show like this (much like Megadeth) you just need to lower your expectations, expect nothing out of the ordinary and have fun. I still did and Iím glad I went. [URL="http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19598"]I saw Black Sabbath in 1999 on their first reunion tour[/URL] and the openers were better at that show. But I think I enjoyed Black Sabbath a lot more at this show. It didnít hurt that I was in the fourteenth row instead of the nosebleeds.

[U]Black Sabbath[/U]
1. War Pigs
2. Into the Void
3. Under the Sun
4. Snowblind
5. Age of Reason
6. Black Sabbath
7. Behind the Walls of Sleep
8. N.I.B.
9. End of the Beginning
10. Fairies Wear Boots
11. -drum solo-
12. Iron Man
13. God is Dead
14. Dirty Woman
15. Children of the Grave
encore
16. Paranoid[/QUOTE]

I MAY be wrong, but I think they have Adam Wakeman, offstage, playing keyboards and extra guitars.

Now, Ozzy's vocals? There might very well likely be some tapes going on there.

Sanitarium78 04-13-2014 02:34 PM

It shouldn't be a surprise that Sabbath has someone off to the side of the stage playing stuff since Geoff Nicholls did that for years playing keyboard and doing backing vocals. Not sure if he did any guitar or not. He was the unofficial fifth member of the band and I think he's second longest running member of Sabbath after Iommi.

bobbie solo 04-13-2014 03:29 PM

i just think the offstage thing is beyond lame. If the guy is playing with the band, he should be on stage. No one is going to bat an eyelash at that.

As far as Ozzy's vocals, i don't think he's doing anything of any merit to improve his voice that much. It's backing tapes.