WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   It's been 5 years, so here's 24 things about me! (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24781)

Dextrimental 03-16-2014 06:12 PM

It's been 5 years, so here's 24 things about me!

So yeah, I just realized I've been here 5 years in February, so here's 24 (I'm 24) things about me!

1. I study social care in college. I'm not sure what area I want to go into, but I do know in terms of a career path to fall back on, social care is where I want to be.

2. I'm 24 and turning 25 in June.

3. I've essentially changed myself almost entirely attitude wise in the last four years. I basically once realized I was perpetuating a lot of negativity and just being a generally unhappy person acting like the universe owed me something.

4. I'm shamelessly positive about life and the potential for things these days.

5. In recent years, I've taken up writing articles and occasionally fiction. I don't think I'm very good at it, but I enjoy it and my editor hasn't felt the need to contact me regarding low quality or comments about the quality yet so I think I'm doing something right. [url]www.the-arcade.ie[/url] if any of you feel like reading my reviews!

6. I play guitar and write/record myself from time to time. I keep saying I'll put together some tunes to show off but I'm never arsed. It's just always been something I've enjoyed doing with no pressure. I've never gigged, though I would like to someday, but right now I'm happy doodling and having fun. If I meet like-minded musicians who like the idea of a casual project, maybe that'll change.

7. I've never lived away from home. This is largely because where I live is easily commutable to Dublin, and as a result I've never needed to move out on my own. I've also over ever worked part-time jobs so I never had the finances to move out when I wasn't in college.

8. I currently live with my dad and sister after moving away from my mom. Long story short, it was amicable as she had a living option for herself that would see her through retirement so I said I'd rent a room from my dad. So far no-one's died, so it's worked out.

9. I'm definitely more of a nerd who listens to metal. I used to be a metalhead who was also a nerd for much of my late teens, but yeah, fell into a few too many stereotypes for my liking in that time.

10. I absolutely believe music and books are the two purist art forms. If you want to witness honesty in art, those two are the most honest I've found.

11. My favorite book is Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. It is one book, that has four subsections. 'Mostly Harmless' is like when a band releases a b-side collection, and I've not yet read 'And Another Thing...'.

12. I like to drink alcohol. I've had my party phase where I wanted to get 'fucked up', but these days I just really enjoy hanging out with friends getting drunk, listening to music and playing video games. I genuinely enjoy it.

13. Henry Rollins, Kevin Smith, Dimebag Darrell and John Green are personal heroes of mine.

14. Dawn of the Dead is my favorite film. I intend on doing a film list though to talk about it more.

15. I also don't drive, this is a willful choice these days. It's not a matter of time, I'm not sure if I'll ever drive. No need or want for it right now and unless I end up living in a suburb and need it to get to work, I don't see it happening.

16. I enjoy and do maths in my spare time sometimes. Usually algebra. Cheap, easy way to keep my brain focused while a good distraction from y'know, the shitty parts of life.

17. Ancient history of the Earth is a big interest of mine. I love reading about old civilizations and religions. I've not yet managed to get into a conversation on the topic, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

18. I have a huge interest in video games, but rarely get the time to play the kind I like because I play them for good stories and fun gameplay. RPG, action adventure and platformers are my general forte.

19. I recently rekindled my love of comics. Walking Dead and The Boys are among my favorites, with Judge Dredd being my favorite 'Hero'.

20. I'm a TV and film junkie. Both have been something I've always enjoyed collecting and finding the obscurity in both.

21. 'Fade' by Cloudkicker is probably currently my favorite album. It's up there with 'Vulgar Display of Power', 'Divine Intervention', 'Never Mind the Bollocks' and 'Dirt' as one of my favorites of all time.

22. Despite being a big metal fan, my first love was punk rock/grind, and I still hold a lot of those values to heart. I'm an every kind of music nerd these days. Only problem is a lot of punk rock has the same problem with a lot of old metal - the production is near un-listenable.

23. I have one tattoo; Pantera's 'CFH' logo. Decided at 16 if I ever decided I wanted a tattoo, that would be the one. I wanted a tattoo at 21, and so I got it. Still don't regret it. I intend on getting more, I have some ideas, but they cost money.

24. I'm quite fond of this community, and beside Facebook, this is easily my most checked social media forum.

Spiner202 03-16-2014 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;562812]
3. I've essentially changed myself almost entirely attitude wise in the last four years. I basically once realized I was perpetuating a lot of negativity and just being a generally unhappy person acting like the universe owed me something.[/quote]

Could you go into more detail about this? How did you do this? This is something I've tried to change, with some positive results, but is ultimately very difficult to maintain for long periods of time.

[quote]9. I'm definitely more of a nerd who listens to metal. I used to be a metalhead who was also a nerd for much of my late teens, but yeah, fell into a few too many stereotypes for my liking in that time.[/quote]

As much as there are a lot of crazy people into metal, I've always thought nerd culture is a better fit for metal. If you can take a step back from the seriousness of metal and appreciate it in the same way that one would a ridiculous fantasy game or book, it makes it more enjoyable IMO.

[quote]16. I enjoy and do maths in my spare time sometimes. Usually algebra. Cheap, easy way to keep my brain focused while a good distraction from y'know, the shitty parts of life.[/quote]

How do you do this? Are you actively trying to learn more in algebra, or just practicing certain types of problems? Just curious because although I'm pretty decent at math, I never went as far with it as I wanted to.

[quote]24. I'm quite fond of this community, and beside Facebook, this is easily my most checked social media forum.[/QUOTE]

:fist:

Dextrimental 03-16-2014 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=Spiner202;562819]Could you go into more detail about this? How did you do this? This is something I've tried to change, with some positive results, but is ultimately very difficult to maintain for long periods of time.

As much as there are a lot of crazy people into metal, I've always thought nerd culture is a better fit for metal. If you can take a step back from the seriousness of metal and appreciate it in the same way that one would a ridiculous fantasy game or book, it makes it more enjoyable IMO.

How do you do this? Are you actively trying to learn more in algebra, or just practicing certain types of problems? Just curious because although I'm pretty decent at math, I never went as far with it as I wanted to.

:fist:[/QUOTE]

1. For me I just took a step back and assessed my life. Actually assessed where I am now, where I would like to be, and who I would like to be when I get there. From there I listed what I could change and what I couldn't and just started taking baby steps. It wasn't all of a sudden, and I think that's part of the problem for people who want to change; not everyone is capable of just altering their mindset, perception, socio-political outlook and lifestyle in a matter of days without some form of life-impeding event. Just make little changes - maybe it's deciding not to argue with someone who pushes your button, maybe it's choosing some fruit over a cookie as a snack, maybe it's choosing to stay inside and getting some work done/working on a home project. I don't know you so I don't know what it might be for you, but for me it was just lots of little changes that build up and become habit. Eventually my perception changed with it and I found I had evolved my social circle/outlook/attitude to work to where I wanted them to be. It takes time and energy, but you can do it.

2. Agreed. I'm just generally a fanatic about most things I'm into. I like being passionate about the new issue of 2000 AD/new Napalm Death record/latest Wes Anderson film, keeps me sane. I find they all feed into each other, and often provide me solace if one starts getting a little quiet or something is a bit disappointing.

3. I just enjoy doing maths. I look up algebra problems for senior high-school level, print out a bunch, and solve them. Occasionally I push the boat and learn some more advanced problems that'd be found in college papers if I have the time, but usually I just do a few sheets of them if I'm travelling or I'm stressed. I find them comparable to Angry Birds or what not, just it's more food for my brain than a time-filler.

ravenheart 03-17-2014 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;562812]11. My favorite book is Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. It is one book, that has four subsections. 'Mostly Harmless' is like when a band releases a b-side collection, and I've not yet read 'And Another Thing...'.[/QUOTE]

The Salmon of Doubt is better than both of these, if you haven't read it.

ravenheart 03-17-2014 03:32 AM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;562812]10. I absolutely believe music and books are the two purist art forms. If you want to witness honesty in art, those two are the most honest I've found.

11. My favorite book is Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. It is one book, that has four subsections. 'Mostly Harmless' is like when a band releases a b-side collection, and I've not yet read 'And Another Thing...'.

14. Dawn of the Dead is my favorite film. I intend on doing a film list though to talk about it more.

15. I also don't drive, this is a willful choice these days. It's not a matter of time, I'm not sure if I'll ever drive. No need or want for it right now and unless I end up living in a suburb and need it to get to work, I don't see it happening.

20. I'm a TV and film junkie. Both have been something I've always enjoyed collecting and finding the obscurity in both.

24. I'm quite fond of this community, and beside Facebook, this is easily my most checked social media forum.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Wouldn't say any of the '... of The Dead' movies are my favourites, but zombie movies in general are awesome. I'm one of the few people who genuinely loved 'Diary of The Dead'.

kalfitegrdan 03-17-2014 04:44 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;562878]Yep.

Wouldn't say any of the '... of The Dead' movies are my favourites, but zombie movies in general are awesome. [B]I'm one of the few people who genuinely loved 'Diary of The Dead'[/B].[/QUOTE]

:lovedup: I thought I was the only one.

kalfitegrdan 03-17-2014 04:53 AM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;562821]3. I just enjoy doing maths. I look up algebra problems for senior high-school level, print out a bunch, and solve them. Occasionally I push the boat and learn some more advanced problems that'd be found in college papers if I have the time, but usually I just do a few sheets of them if I'm travelling or I'm stressed. I find them comparable to Angry Birds or what not, just it's more food for my brain than a time-filler.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a great idea. I haven't really exercised my brain much lately and I like/am good at math.

[QUOTE=Spiner202;562819]As much as there are a lot of crazy people into metal, I've always thought nerd culture is a better fit for metal. If you can take a step back from the seriousness of metal and appreciate it in the same way that one would a ridiculous fantasy game or book, it makes it more enjoyable IMO.[/QUOTE]

I've always kind of viewed the metal culture as kind of a fringe group of the greater nerd culture. I mean sure there's the bros who are into Mayhem Fest bands and such, but the people who are actually super passionate about metal tend to share more qualities with nerd culture than any other clique.

Dextrimental 03-17-2014 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;562878]Yep.

Wouldn't say any of the '... of The Dead' movies are my favourites, but zombie movies in general are awesome. I'm one of the few people who genuinely loved 'Diary of The Dead'.[/QUOTE]

Same! I've yet to see a Romero zombie flick I didn't enjoy, if I'm honest.

Also, I have read Salmon of Doubt, but it's a while ago now. Due a re-read!