WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Celtic Frost: Help Me Decide (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24710)

adamclark52 03-04-2014 12:22 AM

Celtic Frost: Help Me Decide

I'm going to buy an older Celtic Frost album. I can't decide which one: To Mega Therion or Into the Pandemonium. They're at two different stores that are in different areas of town so I can't get both. I've heard (and love) Monotheist and the Triptykon album but I know earlier Celtic Frost is different. Which will give me a better first impression of their older stuff? Production and mixing are pretty important, but songs and flow are more-so.

Before you say [I]"why don't you just stream them and decide for yourself"[/I], I don't have the time to do that between now and when I'll be in the area of the stores. And I prefer getting a hard copy and discovering it that way. But I don't want one that may turn me off them while the other may not.

So which do you recommend and why?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft 03-04-2014 06:50 AM

Both great albums, but if you want the more "metal" of the two, you have to go with To Mega Therion. Tom went a new direction with Into the Pandemonium. Starting with the cover of Wall of Voodoo's Mexican Radio. It's just totally different album than what had come before. I could go track by track but suffice to say, it's an album that might take more than a few listens to get into.

ravenheart 03-04-2014 06:55 AM

Coming at Celtic Frost from Montheist, I find all of their old stuff very difficult to get into.

What I wouldn't give for an album of old songs re-recorded with the Monotheist sound. Or just a top-drawer live album from the Monotheist tour.

Natrlhi 03-04-2014 06:58 AM

If you liked the Monotheist and Triptykon albums, I'd almost recommend "Morbid Tales" before either of the other two.

However, given a choice between "To Mega Therion" and "Into the Pandemonium", I would recommend the former to someone just getting into Celtic Frost, primarily because the latter is a bit more experimental. For example, the opening track is a cover of a Wall of Voodoo song, and another track, "One in Their Pride", is almost a rap song. It's a good album, but it's better absorbed after one listens to the more classic and straightforward material on "To Mega Therion", I think - most folks consider that to be one of Celtic Frost's best albums.

:2cents:

adamclark52 03-04-2014 07:23 AM

I was worried about a song called [I]Mexican Radio[/I]. I don't even know who Wall of Voodoo are but that title just doesn't sit well with me. I thought it was a serious album and starting an album with a song with that title just confuses me. It seems to me like throwing a cover of [I]Sugar, Sugar[/I] in the middle of Monotheist but maybe I'm totally wrong and it's an ironic title for the br00talist song of all-time.

Natrlhi 03-04-2014 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;561170]I was worried about a song called [I]Mexican Radio[/I]. I don't even know who Wall of Voodoo are but that title just doesn't sit well with me. I thought it was a serious album and starting an album with a song with that title just confuses me. It seems to me like throwing a cover of [I]Sugar, Sugar[/I] in the middle of Monotheist but maybe I'm totally wrong and it's an ironic title for the br00talist song of all-time.[/QUOTE]It's actually not bad. Celtic Frost totally made it their own thing - which begs the question why they decided to cover it in the first place, but that's a question we may never know the answer to. Bottom line is, it doesn't suck. It just doesn't sound anything like the original.

Onioner 03-04-2014 07:55 AM

To Mega Therion is one of the most evil albums I own. I fricken love it and can't recommend it enough. I always thought Into the Pandemonium was kind of overrated. It was the first CF album I bought and I tried really hard to get it into it and only came out with, "Eh, it's okay I guess." It took only one listen of To Mega Therion for me to be like, "DAMN THIS SHIT RULES."

JRA 03-04-2014 08:02 AM

To Mega Therion, though you might appreciate it more if you hear Morbid Tales (or Apocalyptic Raids) first.

I like Into The Pandemonium, and I like Mexican Radio. Hell I like I Won't Dance and frankly I don't understand those who don't. That thrash riff at the beginning is awesome!

Still if you only have one choice, get To Mega Therion.

mankvill 03-04-2014 11:59 AM

You need Morbid Tales + Emperor's Return before anything, but I say To Mega Therion.

John The Drummer 03-04-2014 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;561157]Coming at Celtic Frost from Montheist, I find all of their old stuff very difficult to get into.

What I wouldn't give for an album of old songs re-recorded with the Monotheist sound. Or just a top-drawer live album from the Monotheist tour.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about them....

That being said, go with TMT if anything, but [I]Cold Lake[/I] over all.