WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal? (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24548)

ravenheart 01-29-2014 08:30 AM

So what do you actively listen to that isn't rock or metal?

Inspired by TheWildAndTheYoung's typically teenage narrow tastes (we were all there).

What does everyone [b]actively[/b] listen to that isn't rock or metal, now they've grown up? And I don't mean "guilty pleasures" because feeling guilty about listening to music is fucking pathetic.

For me:
[LIST][*]A crap-ton of blues (examples available on request)[*]Paul Weller[*]The grittier end of folk (examples available on request)[*]Neo-folk (examples available on request)[*]"Outlaw" country (examples available on request)[*]Certain albums by the likes of Alanis Morissette, Joan Osborne, Sheryl Crow, Meredith Brooks, etc.[*]Depeche Mode[/LIST]
There's probably a little more, but that's the main stuff.

SomewhereInTime72 01-29-2014 08:34 AM

When I was 15, I discovered prog rock and I stopped being an OMG METAL ONLY guy. Metal is still my overall clear-cut favorite, and prog-rock in 2nd place behind it. Since then I've expanded to be fairly into Jazz, Hip hop, and a pretty large range of electronic musics. No discriminating if it makes my ears happy.

adamclark52 01-29-2014 08:42 AM

Some post-rock, some hip-hop (old school 1990s stuff) and a hell of a lot of video game music. I really like hard trance too. And the odd pop or top-40 single, but I never buy those albums.

ravenheart 01-29-2014 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;556616]And the odd pop or top-40 single, but I never buy those albums.[/QUOTE]

Never seem to have it in them to make a whole album that's actually good, do they?

TheWildAndTheYoung 01-29-2014 08:54 AM

Video game music, Movie soundtracks, just soundtrack music in general really.

ravenheart 01-29-2014 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=TheWildAndTheYoung;556627]Video game music, Movie soundtracks, just soundtrack music in general really.[/QUOTE]

While playing the games or watching the movies doesn't count.

TheWildAndTheYoung 01-29-2014 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;556629]While playing the games or watching the movies doesn't count.[/QUOTE]

I'm very aware of that thank you.

BRAman22 01-29-2014 09:11 AM

I listen to a decent amount of rap/hip-hop type of stuff. G-Eazy, Kanye, and Tupac would have to be my favorites.

markrz 01-29-2014 09:50 AM

I like some electric blues like Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, etc. (Johnny Winter will probably be my next concert; he's playing here at the end of this week.)

Also a lot of jazz fusion, some of which is pretty similar to rock anyway.

I like some traditional Celtic music, like Altan, who I was very lucky to see play in March 2012. Fantastic.

I like a lot of pop music too, particularly the variety that leans towards rock (as opposed to dance/club/R&B).

For classical I tend to like smaller-scale stuff: solo pieces, quartets, concertos that revolve around one featured instrument.

ravenheart 01-29-2014 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=markrz;556635]I like some electric blues like Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, etc. (Johnny Winter will probably be my next concert; he's playing here at the end of this week.)[/quote]

Saw Johnny last year. He was superb.

[QUOTE=markrz;556635]For classical I tend to like smaller-scale stuff: solo pieces, quartets, concertos that revolve around one featured instrument.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm the opposite here.