WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Elitists, Anti-Elitists, Hipsters, Deafheaven, etc. (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24523)

kalfitegrdan 01-23-2014 04:09 AM

Elitists, Anti-Elitists, Hipsters, Deafheaven, etc.

In lieu of the recent year end thread and this post-Sunbather world we live in that's ravaged by hipster accusations and questions of one's kvlt-ness, I thought these two articles would be an interesting discussion.

This bluntly titled article calling out black metal elitists: [URL="http://noisey.vice.com/blog/why-are-black-metal-fans-such-elitist-assholes"]Why Are Black Metal Fans Such Elitist Assholes?[/URL]

And this response piece defending said elitism: [URL="http://www.deathmetal.org/news/in-defense-of-elitism/"]In Defense of Elitism[/URL]

I would have just put this is the "What Are You Doing" thread, but I figured if Dave Mustaine and that douche from Avenged Sevenfold get their own threads, then fuck it.

ravenheart 01-23-2014 06:09 AM

Hipster.

DementedX14 01-23-2014 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;555737]Hipster.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

slapguitarer 01-23-2014 10:52 AM

Yeah, I read that "in a post-deafheaven world" article and thought it made some interesting points. I'll give these a read when I'm done with classes for the day.

EDIT: Although I have to say, I usually hate Vice/Noisey article because how fucking smug, arrogant, and pretentious the authors come of as in an effort to try and convey, "HEY I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT LISTEN TO ME".

mankvill 01-23-2014 11:01 AM

I feel like that Noisey article was written terribly. It was basically a fleshed out version of the "Quit being meanies! Move out of your parents basement!" comments you see on Blabbermouth posts from "RIPDIMEBAG420" every single day.

I feel like the response article is kinda BS too because if they wanted to keep out "imposters" or whatever, the only black metal there would be is Blasphemy worship and black metal would be the most fucking one-dimensional music genre of all time.

It's so weird that all this drama came from Sunbather, an album that if you took out the interludes and like half of one song would be a normal, by-the-books black metal album.

I don't think Deafheaven is really trying to infiltrate the underground, Ross Bay cult section of black metal, nor do I think they're trying to get black metal in the top 40 radio stations.

Black metal started in defense of keeping the spirit and evilness of heavy metal true by going against the grain copycat bands, and isn't that basically what Deafheaven is doing?

I'm glad that there are more types of black metal than "Transilvanian Hunger" and 'Under The Sign Of the Black Mark" ripoffs. There are more than enough awesome bands making "typical" black metal (look how much everyone fucking loved that latest Inquisition record) so these few bands with their "soundscape" black metal or "blackgaze" music are furthering the scene and we should all love that.

Any comments on their appearance or anything like that is fucking dumb. George Clarke has frighteningly awesome stage presence and some of the best black metal vocals on record I've ever heard.

I wrote all this while listening to pop punk.

LogicBomb 01-23-2014 12:23 PM

Pretty much everything I wanted to say Mankvill did. Both articles are kinda terrible, the first one is overly whiny and completely lacking in substance (which makes me suspect it might just be clickbait); the second keeps going on about "the herd," as if they were the wolves or something, which is utterly laughable but not surprising coming from an ANUS affiliate site. I do get though that metalheads can be wary of "outsiders" co-opting their music-crossover and grind excepted, it tends to lead to watered down, lowest common denominator stuff, like glam, groove & nu metal, 00s metalcore, etc.

Deafheaven also hasn't really done anything unique, nothing Lantlos (and others) didn't already do 5-6 years ago. I guess it has more to do with being in the right place in the right time. I don't really care for them, but it doesn't bother me that people like them or whatever.

The unnamed "bar" I suspect is probably Duff's, in which case the bartenders would be dumb NYDM lackeys anyhow. And really unless you're talking to the extreme satanic hispanics or self serious NWN nerds or what have you, no one really cares what you listen to. Yeah, people might rib you & give you some shit for it, but ultimately they don't care. At least this is what I've found in my experience, in you know, actually being around and talking to metalheads for quite awhile.

larvtard 01-23-2014 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=LogicBomb;555810]the first one is overly whiny and completely lacking in substance (which makes me suspect it might just be clickbait)[/QUOTE]

no, that's just Noisey/Vice for you :lol: I feel like I kind of fit into the whole Vice demographic, but tbh their writing is absolutely horrible and way too biased and opinionated. This goes so far beyond "poor journalism." It's just garbage on paper, most of the time.

slapguitarer 01-23-2014 02:59 PM

Exactly. The writing is terrible for who pretentious the writers are. And I feel like [I]some[/I] of are trying to get a decent point across, but they just can't coherently put it in text.

infinitydeth 01-23-2014 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;555799]
I wrote all this while listening to pop punk.[/QUOTE]
:cool::rocker:

LogicBomb 01-23-2014 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=larvtard;555822]no, that's just Noisey/Vice for you :lol: I feel like I kind of fit into the whole Vice demographic, but tbh their writing is absolutely horrible and way too biased and opinionated. This goes so far beyond "poor journalism." It's just garbage on paper, most of the time.[/QUOTE]

After checking out a couple of other things pretty much a random, yeah. They seem to be trying to go for "casual and open" but comes across more as "low barrier of entry."