WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Godspeed You! Black Emperor -- Montreal, Quebec -- January 19th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24508)

VoidFlame 01-20-2014 12:41 PM

Godspeed You! Black Emperor -- Montreal, Quebec -- January 19th, 2014

Venue: Métropolis

I can already predict this is going to be the show of the year (sorry, adamclark, it sucks so much you had to miss this, I hope your son's alright...).
I've gone to a (smaller) deal of shit to go to this too: I had lost my ticket at home and it took at least 30 minutes to find it, and then, when I got to the venue, I found it had disappeared from my wallet, so I had to buy a new one from a scalper and miss Neurosis' first song. God, that was a pretty stressful moment... :bouville:

Anyway, you couldn't possibly understand how relieved and happy I felt when I got in and got literally crushed by Neurosis. They probably had the best and heaviest sound I've ever heard from a live band, and the vocals sounded so fucking painful! The usual weird samples made the ambiance extremely dark and creepy. The only flaw, in my opinion, was that they played too much stuff from "Given to the Rising". It was great, but I would have felt more satisfied if I had seen the full on "A Sun That Never Sets" set they did the day before. I already can't wait to get another opportunity to see them live.

After a long change up time, spent to place Godspeed's plethora of amps, the lights dimmed and a faint, low intro started playing, while the members of the legendary post-rock collective gradually took place on stage, one by one adding their contribution to the habitual show starter dubbed "Hope Drone" (probably because of the projections on the back that sporadically flash "HOPE"). Speaking of the projections, the visual aspect of their show largely contributed in recreating the unique and mysterious ambiance heard in GY!BE's albums: meditative, yet intense; heartwarming, yet unsettling. The drone progressively grew louder and denser, ultimately sublimating into the middle-eastern-tinged post-rock masterpiece opener from their latest record: Mladic. The dancy arabic-sounding part was just majestic. They then gave us a few seconds of silence to meditate (and mostly for them to set up their instruments), and gently paved the way to the beautiful high-pitched guitar/violin climatic duet of "Sleep" from their opus magnum, [I]Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven[/I]. After that, they took a step back, joining the ends with the previously played "Mladic" by the means of a new song called "Behemoth". It transported us back to the middle-east with glorious might, before fading out into noise and feedback. Eventually, that noisy fog bank lifted, revealing the sheer post-rock excellence of "Moya"; in my opinion, this song is basically the archetype of the whole genre. I swear, the ending almost made me cry. They finished that timeless concert with two sub-songs (separated with the beautiful "God" sample), forming the bulk of the paradoxically delicate and disquieting "Static", also from [I]Antennas[/I]. When it faded out, we could hear and "Where are you going?" part at the end of "East Hastings" from their debut album, while the musicians waved goodbye to the crowd, which mostly stood still, speechless, still shocked by one of the most emotionally intense shows they had ever witnessed.

It cost me about 100$, but it was with every single penny.

[B][U]Neurosis[/U][/B]

Given to the Rising
At the Well
Distill (Watching the Swarm)
Locust Star
Bleeding the Pigs
Water Is Not Enough
The Tide
My Heart for Deliverance
At the End of the Road

[B][U]Godspeed You! Black Emperor[/U][/B]

Hope Drone
Mladic
Monheim*
Behemoth
Moya
Chart #3**
World Police and Friendly Fire**
String Loop Manufactured During Downpour... (Outro)***

*Part of "Sleep"
**Part of "Static"
***Part of "East Hastings"

adamclark52 01-20-2014 03:43 PM

Yeah, show(s) of the year. Nothing will top them.