WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Iced Earth -- London, England -- January 14th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24466)

ravenheart 01-14-2014 04:14 PM

Iced Earth -- London, England -- January 14th, 2014

[b]Worldwide Plagues Tour[/b]
Venue: Islington Academy
Support: Warbringer / Elm Street
Set times: 21:05 - 22:50

Plagues of Babylon
Democide
Dark Saga
If I Could See You
Disciples of The Lie
Jekyll & Hyde
Among The Living Dead
Red Baron/Blue Max
Blessed Are You
Peacemaker
Vengeance Is Mine
Cthulhu
My Own Savior
The End?
A Question of Heaven
--------------
Dystopia
Watching Over Me
Iced Earth

[IMG]https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1528668_593697730703709_1902852000_n.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1524904_593693970704085_1297438155_n.jpg[/IMG]

MPF 01-14-2014 04:33 PM

So....how was the show?

The setlist is quite different than I imagined, I wonder how different, if at all, it will change on the NA tour.

ravenheart 01-14-2014 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=MPF;554179]So....how was the show?[/QUOTE]

Not bad, not great.

It was lacking in those big moments. You know after you have a couple of new or less well-liked songs you get a big song that everyone loves and gets into, whether played often or not? This set has barely any of those. It was cool to hear Dark Saga and Disciples of The Lie, but the first really unifying song was probably Blessed Are You, which is far too late in the set to be achieving that. This was a bit of a problem on the last tour too. Jon deserves credit for pulling out different songs, but he has no idea how to pace a setlist.

Plus, the new songs are hookless and boring. No one got into them at all, and I don't blame them. I know it's only a couple of weeks old, but the reception 'Dystopia' got versus any of the new ones spoke volumes.

Sanitarium78 01-14-2014 05:36 PM

It's cool that they're playing some different tunes they haven't done in a while but the rarities they've busted out for this tour really aren't anything that special. I like the new album but overall they're really aren't playing any songs that I feel I have to hear except for A Question Of Heaven. Last tour they did Angels Holocaust, Slave To The Dark, Damien, Dante's Inferno and When The Night Falls. The selection of older material was much better than this current set.

Terrible pacing to start the show to. If I Could See You is not a good song and can easily put you to sleep, having it in the fourth spot is a bad idea. I could understand it being there if the first three songs were ones that blew the roof off the place but that isn't the case here.

300%_Density 01-14-2014 05:45 PM

So out of all the songs from The Glorious Burden they haven't done in so many years and their go to was Red Baron/ Blue Max? That is unfortunate.

Cool they want to put in deeper tracks, I applaud them for trying but it looks like a crowd killer.

Sanitarium78 01-14-2014 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=300%_Density;554204]So out of all the songs from The Glorious Burden they haven't done in so many years and their go to was Red Baron/ Blue Max? That is unfortunate.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what about The Reckoning, Valley Forge or Attila? I don't see why one of those can't get played. At least they're giving Declaration Day a rest.

Steev 01-14-2014 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Sanitarium78;554206]Yeah, what about The Reckoning, Valley Forge or Attila? I don't see why one of those can't get played. At least they're giving Declaration Day a rest.[/QUOTE]

Waterloo, seriously I'd love to hear that live

Litany 01-14-2014 09:12 PM

Jekyll & Hyde?! Horror Show is my favorite IE album! One of the songs off there I've always wanted to hear! No complaints from me :)

ravenheart 01-15-2014 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=Sanitarium78;554200]Last tour they did Angels Holocaust, Slave To The Dark, Damien, Dante's Inferno and When The Night Falls. The selection of older material was much better than this current set.[/quote]

Well, first leg of the last tour. The second leg all of those got dropped for extra Dystopia songs, plus Wolf, Melancholy (Holy Martyr), Setian Massacre, and putting Burning Times and Pure Evil back in. That first leg set was definitely their most awesome for years though.

[QUOTE=Sanitarium78;554200]Terrible pacing to start the show to. If I Could See You is not a good song and can easily put you to sleep, having it in the fourth spot is a bad idea. I could understand it being there if the first three songs were ones that blew the roof off the place but that isn't the case here.[/QUOTE]

You know what, I'd say If I Could See You was easily the most well-received of the new songs. Two reasons for that I'd guess are crowds respond when bands do personal songs, and this one is a bit like Watching Over Me in that it's a song for someone Jon lost (his grandfather), and also it's the only new song they played with an actual hooky chorus. It definitely got the biggest reception.

I think Parasite is the best song on the new album. Typical that it got left out for the "safe" ones that just sound like a bunch of other songs.

[QUOTE=Steev;554218]Waterloo, seriously I'd love to hear that live[/QUOTE]

Totally. I'd take anything from that album except probably Green Face and Red Baron/Blue Max. It's a shame they picked that one, but at least it was something different.

[QUOTE=Litany;554238]Jekyll & Hyde?! Horror Show is my favorite IE album! One of the songs off there I've always wanted to hear! No complaints from me :)[/QUOTE]

It seemed to pass everyone by. I think because it and Disciples of The Lie were between new songs, and they didn't introduce it like they normally do for rare songs, so it kind of seemed to get missed.

For me, I love Horror Show, but it works as a complete album. Somehow whenever they bring out individual songs live, with the exception of Wolf, they do nothing for me.

ravenheart 01-15-2014 02:54 AM

Oh yeah, and for anyone who's heard the new album, yes, they have turned "Fuck yo couch" into a t-shirt.